Home Forums Everything about the Tricopter V4 2 axis gimbal mounting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    chrisdavidson152
    Participant

I purchased a cheap gimbal for testing after giving on on this idea of using a KK2. I might return to it another day with the Naze32 for testing.

Please excuse the prototype mess inc the wiring. I intend to use this as a donor for proper lighter fit.

The rubber mounts end up making the gimbal on the tri create a natural oscillation in the first video. Second one is mounted like the picture and I still need some fine tuning of the PIDs – taking a while..

Thanks

Chris.

Tiernan85
    Participant

Pretty good in the second video. That looks like the same gimbal I recently purchased(not received yet). Except the one I have coming is silver. I like the way you mounted it. I haven’t figured everything out for mounting yet as I’m waiting for it to arrive. How did you choose to power yours?

chrisdavidson152
    Participant

Yeh, I only picked the black to match the frame even though it might end up being on the nose of a Bixler before the other kit comes through.

Thanks on the mounting I’ll post an update when it changes. Due to the way it hangs off the front and the bottom plate I’ll need to think of something to dampen it.

It’s powered off the balance lead at present tapping off the 3S +tive with the 4S +tive for the voltage monitor – not ideal but I’ve been checking the cells after a flight and they’ve been fine so far. Maybe not a permanent solution but enough for testing, I’ll find out what regulator is used on board and either change it out if I can or I’ll get a mini 12v once and mount it on the main board of the gimbal – either way I’d just like to use the main flight battery voltage.

Chris

Nice starting video. Is that Mobius? If so, what MGR app settings do you use?

Nice shots into the sun and lens flare, etc. That looks like a pretty good place to practice fpv too. Subdued spring stoke for those in the northern hemi.

chrisdavidson152
    Participant

Hi,

Yes Mobius in a gopro case as wanted the lens to be at the right height (motor shaft) for the gimbal.

Totally bog standard setting + HDR + 1 on Saturation. I’m never happy with the settings though so always changing. I do tend to use cloudy a lot though.

Thanks, first video was on the field between my house and the beach and the second video was was on the 2 islands north from me. Middle of nowhere helps for flying/FPV but means very few flying days due to high winds. I do have access to NOTAM’d airspace though so has it’s benefits :).

Chris.

Tiernan85
    Participant

I received my gimbal yesterday. Have it fitted up and just waiting for some weather to give it a go. Can I ask what props you are using and how the tri managed with the extra weight? My gimbal comes in at a bit over 200g. A good amount of additional weight. I’m thinking I might be a bit overweight with this and I may need a larger prop. I look forward to trying it though for some cinematic style footage I’d like to shoot at a few different places here.

chrisdavidson152
    Participant

Hi,

I’m using the recommended 4S setup with the NTM 28-30S 900kv motors and 9×5 props – The motors are utter crap (I’ve not heard any other bad words so it must be a batch I got) as I bought 4 and all had crappy bearings and weren’t balanced at all – they’re still causing me issues to the point of raising an RMA with HK.

Anyways I haven’t retuned the PIDs for the extra weight as I’m waiting for a carbon gimbal frame to transfer the motors and controller on to. It has also been 20+mph winds since November so it is hard to get a calm day to get it tuned. I’ll go to one of the hangers at work soon though as I need to fly before I go crazy. As it is just now it’s a bit sluggish/lazy but still flyable. It used to get light on its feet just above half throttle but now needs two thirds thus leaving me one third for flight control. It still climbs like crazy when on full throttle so it has plenty of power. I adjusted the throttle curve so it’s light about one quarter throttle thus leaving me more travel for flight control which helps immensely .

I have thought about going up a prop size as I’m using 30A ESCs, I’ll probably get some on my next order. Before the gimbal I was getting ~ 18mins of flight and with I’m getting ~ 12mins. That’s on a 3000mAh battery.

What I would say is that I tuned the PIDs on the gimbal holding it in my hand and moving it around but my hand and arm dampened vibrations so on the tri it was a whole different story. I would start with the default settings and try and tune it on the tri next. I can share if required.

I’ve now watched a LOT of Youtube videos so if you have any issues give us a shout and I’ll see what I can do to help.

Chris

Tiernan85
    Participant

I also have poor motors. 2 of the 3 have really bad bearings. I’ll be buying something different when I get the chance. I’ve the 30a esc’s also. Once I get a bit of decent weather I’ll see how she does in the air and go from there. Thanks.

chrisdavidson152
    Participant

Hi,

Tried again but the gimbal seems a little slow so more PID stuff to tinker with again. Very high winds so I guess it’s ok.

Tiernan85
    Participant

Nicely done and some good looking footage. I’ve only managed one quick test of mine so far due to weather. I did noticed in mine, and yours a bit too that the tri does a slight “tail wag”. Not sure how easy it would be but I think this could be tuned out through the FC with some experimenting and patience lol.

I still have the rubber mounts on mine and didn’t notice much for jello. But again, it was such a short test so I need more footage to check. I know you took yours off because it was adding te jello effect. It could be the different mounting positions between them. Have you tried mounting it directly to the battery tray without the cushion to see if the anti vibration wires soak up any vibrations?

I see you have the manual pitch control setup. I was attempting to do that but everything I saw on YouTube was using the Dji controller so wasn’t sure what I was doing. Care to share some insight on how you hooked it up?

Javelin884
    Participant

The footage looks really good, congrats 🙂
    I was wondering how these gimbals work and/or how to make one, is there a link to a place where I can read about them. Or maybe a build video. How did you build yours and what controller ware you using.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Javelin884

Tiernan85
    Participant

The gimbals Chris and I are using are complete preassembled ones that we purchased.

I picked mine up from goodluckbuy for about 55 dollars.

chrisdavidson152
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks.

I never noticed the tail wag until you mentioned it but now I see it it’s very obvious. I had turned down the rudder PIDs because even though I bought the recommended servo yet again like every motor I seem to buy it has slop in it. I seem to have zero luck when it comes to buying motors and servos. I need to spend some time when I have the final mounting solution created. I have some 4mm ply and with the new gimbal parts I might get something that works. It’s just so windy here that I need a gimbal to rewatch footage. FPV is fine but 20mph winds footage not on a gimbal makes me feel seasick.

I’ll give the hard mounting solution a go to on both top and bottom frames.

I have 2 pictures showing the yellow cable from my receiver to the control board pin. It’s just the signal pin as I’m only using one battery. It’s just wired like you would a normal pan servo

There’s links in my first post of the gimbal I bought and the other kit that I’m trying to frig to make it lighter. I want tot try and make it light and small and close to the CoG as possible but not really working so far

It was just a cheap ebay job – the hard part was getting the right control software but it’s all working now.

The new one is a gopro gimbal frame but the arm dimensions are just too big so I might chop it a bit.

Cheers and any more questions and I’ll do what I can.

Javelin884
    Participant

Thanks for the Reply swift reply I am planning on getting something similar after a set of FPV goggles 🙂
    Also, Congrats, that is one of the best looking builds I have seen, the yellow is perfect against the black, its also so much cleaner than mine 😀

I’m not sure if this would work but it might be worth trying a light duty rubber band to hold tension in one direction on the servo/tilt. You would probably have to re set center position in the mixer editor but it might effectively remove the servo play.

I’m also not sure what your settings are, but increasing Gyro and Acc settings in KK2.1 might produce smoother flight characteristics.

I think stock is 500 and 4. I have tried 1000 and 8 and 2000 and 16 and they seemed more graceful with the caveat of potentially alarming delay if someone is flying in a tight area and not used to the settings. If you haven’t tried these already it may be worth increasing just one at a time and test more flights the further they are increased in case some kind of hiccup or instability shows up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Tricopter V4’ is closed to new topics and replies.