Home Forums Everything about the Mini Tricopter A glimpse of the RCExplorer mini tricopter by David WindestΓ₯l

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    LeoTheHuman
    Participant

Emax 2204 are fairly cheap and I’m actually very impressed by performance of these on my mini with 6045 props. But that is with 3S battery.

Chadwick
    Participant

Just took a look at the video again judging by the scale of those are 6″ props like he mentioned in the Flite Test interview, and the scale to,the motor mount, I bet those are DYS 2208 motors.

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

That actually makes a lot of sense and upon the review of the video I can confirm that these look very like DYS BE2208, but I couldn’t figure out the KV rating of these. I would exclude 1070 and 2600 KV for props reasons, but there are 2 more options: 1400 and 1800 KV. If I was going to run these according to the official specs (http://www.dys.hk/ProductShow.asp?ID=1), I would pick 1400, but knowing @David

I’m astounded by you guys observation skills πŸ˜€
    Yes those are indeed the DYS BE2208 1800kV motors running 6×4.5HQ props on 4S. They draw 20A each on WOT which scoots the tricopter along at a pretty good pace πŸ˜‰

I’m on revision 16 today. Still need some time to get it the way i want it. I’m really happy with the electronics setup so I have custom motors, speed controllers and also HQ props ordered. Now I just need to finish the side plates.

The copter easily carries a GoPro and flies pretty fast, don’t know exactly how fast yet but I guess 100km/h or so.

The Aerial GP didn’t go too well. The course was much smaller than I thought it would be and the tricopter was simply too fast. I can in at 15th place out of 25 but I had real trouble just getting around the course πŸ˜€

More to come πŸ™‚

Terje

@David strap an old smartphone to it, load the speedometer app and let’r rip πŸ˜€

On a more serious note – the side panels have really inspired me to think in another dimension than I am used to. Thanks πŸ™‚

Building a few ZMR250 for practise runs I have noticed how the plate for board camera is sandwiched in between the panels. Maybe the same could be applied on your design if you need plates for say board camera, GoPro/Mobius, receiver, powerfilter or lipo? Wait, are you doing something brilliant with the side panels as well?!?

Can’t wait! πŸ˜‰

Chadwick
    Participant

@David I was admiring the side plates also. They are a lot cleaner look than adding more plates up and down, and it looks like a lot more reals state for gear. Did you say custom motors and speed controller? I’m intrigued. Eagerly awaiting more news.

mjpilot
    Participant

Wait. Hold on a sec. David said that he ordered motors speed controllers and props. Does this mean he is going to sell electronics in his store?! That would be ausome.

2ma
    Participant

@mjpilot Yes it would be awesome !

I’m sure the side panel are going to make the frame really tougher πŸ™‚ @David maybe you could just increase the diameter of the motor circle mount, si it would protect the motor in a crash πŸ™‚ Also, I assume the cameras are going to be well protected in a crash because of the side plates πŸ™‚

It almost looks like the Vador spaceship πŸ˜€
    vador spaceship

JustMe
    Participant

About the new design :
    In this structure , with the side plates , the CG is higher than the motor’s plane.
    Wouldn’t it be benificial to swap things around so that the battery will be used to lower the CG?
    What am I missing?
    Looking forward to try one of these units

Terje

The CG is actually pretty close to the motors plane. The tail is higher than the rest. What you loose in stability, you gain in agility – which is what you need for racing πŸ™‚

I’ve been doing some tinkering with my own mini and now really understand why @David is on his 18. Revision! How or if he manages to squeze a 12v voltage regulator with low noise filter for 4S setup into the frame is beyond me. Likewise I cant see how a GoPro mount is even possible on the narrow frame?!? I decided to go with my Mobius instead…

Terje

@David I have been running HQ6045 on my mini tricopter(s) and am really happy with them. (They only cost €2.68 for a set of four from my local dealer)

On my ZMR250 that I have used for FPV practice I found that the HQ6045 performs well, but tend to break on impact. I have been testing the DAL6040 from Surveilzone which are less efficient, but much more durable (although not unbreakable despite everybody seems to think so). Furthermore the 6″ version is said to be perfect for reducing to a 5″ bull nose version.

I will be mounting the DAL6040 on the mini tricopter and do some tests in the coming week (till I run out of servos) πŸ™‚

2ma
    Participant

I’ve been using the DAL6040 and I love them ! As I am learning, I don’t really mind to loose 20% thrust because they are a lot more durable than the 6030 Gemfan πŸ™‚

Chadwick
    Participant

@Terje what motor and speed controllers are you using on your mini. I’m currently running DYS 1806 with 6×3 props, on 12a esc but even at that I would never push because of drawing way to much amperage for them at least in static thrust tests anyway.

Terje

I run the Multistar Elite 2300Kv motors with DAL6040 props on Afro slim 20A ESCs (currently running BLHeli and OneShot) on 3S lipos. I expect to test 4S 1300mAh lipos in the coming week. I have no idea what that is going to do to the motors…

2ma
    Participant

D-d-d-d-do you already have the side plates ? Or it’s a prototype of yours ? πŸ™‚ Look nice anyway ! It looks like you don’t loose a lot of altitude while rolling ! mine just fall like a rock xD

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.