Home Forums Everything about the Mini Tricopter A glimpse of the RCExplorer mini tricopter by David WindestΓ₯l

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    LeoTheHuman
    Participant

@David, we’re all hyped up, we need that mini soon!

Terje

@kajaken Looks really good πŸ™‚ Looks like David (and you?) managed to make it a 250 class racer? With the enormous ImmersionRC VTx on top of the battery and a holder for the vertical standoffs placed where the rear wire holder used to be? Do the front standoffs offer enough tension to hold the front booms in place? I guess locktite and longer screws will work?

What kind of Lipo are you able to fit into the limited space, looks like it is “side loaded”?

Wow, those were a lot of questions πŸ™‚

schlagbohrer
    Participant

@kajaken and @David I can’t await the release. I’d like to have a racing tri too. πŸ™‚
    I’m really looking forward to it. It looks so fabulous. πŸ™‚

ATCr
    Participant

David, the race tri is looking awesome! I’m new to the hobby and looking/researching my first aircraft. I think I’ll like the flight characteristics of a tri over a quad.

I’m looking forward to your kit! It would also be AWESOME to see a beta developers kit, maybe with the main frame (with and without the integrated naz32 fcb), precut arms (250 or 280 size), rear tilt mech, motor mount disc and needed screws. This would allow me to build/test my own layout with the foundation of your kit.

Kevin
    Participant

Terje, you said your tri weighs about the same but then with one less motor you would need to be 25% better than the others. I was thinking about this, do you? Assuming pilot skill is the same wouldn’t a tri be better in the corners? It would be like car racing, some cars are better for straight lines and some are better for curves, so it depends on the track as to which has the advantage. Just a thought.

Someone asked this in the rcgroup forums. I said I think if drone racing gets popular you might start to see different classes like you do with car racing. It’s one of those thing, one would have to race a tri with quads regularly to see if the tri has a disadvantage and thus requires a different class event.

Hehe Kajaken is no spy πŸ™‚ He’s a friend of mine and one of my testpilots.

I’m pretty sure this will be the final design. Revision 23 if I’m not mistaken πŸ˜‰

The G10 in the picture is laser cut so the edges look horrible, but the production version will be milled πŸ™‚

I decided to go with both side plates and a top plate to make the design as versatile, strong and light as possible. Not easy squeezing everything on there but it works.

Arms are 162.5mm long (half arm length of the large tricopter)

Second picture show a speed run I did a couple of hours ago with the stock setup that I will be available on the store πŸ™‚ 98.2mph or 160km/h isn’t too shabby πŸ˜€

Terje

Hey David, looks great! πŸ˜€

Where do I sign up for team pilot training? πŸ˜‰

Chadwick
    Participant

Yeah looking good. A lot sleeker than mine. Looking forward to seeing it in the shop πŸ™‚ 160km/h I see some trees hits in my future

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

@David, I hope the first batch will be huge enough. (:

Freakazoid
    Participant

Looks great, David. Is there a way to pre-order? Maybe that way it is easier for you to get enough kits in stock.

2ma
    Participant

It looks great ! Good job @David πŸ™‚ and I was kidding about kakajen being a spy πŸ˜€ I’m looking forward to order this kit πŸ™‚
    Btw in your picture I don’t see where you will put your gopro. Maybe I’m just blind :)I like that we will be able to change the fpv camera angle, maybe it could marked next to the hole “10degres 20 degrees…”
    Also will you give some pid ? Because the one for the full size work great but I think I have some oscillation but as far as my pc is not powerful enough I can see it on video πŸ™

Terje

@2ma the GoPro mount plate is hiding in plane sight on top of the enclosure πŸ™‚

I guess the plate in front of the combined GoPro mount plate can be rotated to accommodate a Mobius/Runcam type camera and the 40mm spacer can be adjusted to prevent the lipo from crashing into the Mobius camera? Pretty clever thinking πŸ™‚

@David are you using a 3D program to simulate the different parts and how they fit together, or are you doing it by trial and error?

Pre-order is a really nice idea, gives you a rough idea how many units you need to make initially, and get some discounts on the motors, spacers etc. when buying bulk πŸ™‚

Really looking forward to this one!

@David are you running 1.3GHz because you get out of 5.8GHz range in about 5 seconds? πŸ˜‰

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

@David, do you have a plan, or at least a rough idea when it will be available in your shop?

JustMe
    Participant

great work. liked the innovation

I have a question about speed:
    when you get at 160 Km/h it is clear that the aerodynamic of the design also comes into play , but from some reason – nobody seems to care about it.
    why ?

Terje

@JustMe some are attempting to make more streamlined designs. Have a look at the Storm racing drone.

For proximity racing (5.8GHz), you want maneuverability and fast acceleration, not necessarily high top speed. As mentioned before, at 160 km/h you’d be out of range of your 5.8GHz system in 5 seconds. For me it is more of a novelty that i can go 160 km/h πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.