Home Forums Everything about the Mini Tricopter Air crash investigation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    biggestRCEfan
    Participant

Went flying this morning early, and had unfortunate accident. Initially thought the DYS ESCs are to blame, as I had a dud in the initial delivery, but since I replaced it I flew about 20 packs worth without incident. Nevertheless, so much was said on this forum about DYS poor reliability and bad batches that I was ready to start the rebuild with a different brand of ESCs.

Enter the GoPro 4 footage … Compilation showing cause of accident.. Read the text below the youtube clip for the clip sequences.

It appears that I damaged the left boom during a hard landing after a failed flip attempt. Didn’t notice that I damaged the boom. During subsequent take-off I did notice that there was a rolling tendency when making sudden power changes. Didn’t think too much of it – should have investigated a bit more at the time … Lesson learnt: always inspect airframe for hidden failures post impact!

Flew a full battery at some speed and altitude, landed, swapped battery. Then after take-off, from a high hover, there was sudden failure and vertical plummet, leaving both front booms snapped and minor damage to upper plate. Fortunately GoPro was in hard case! Based on the video my theory is that wake-induced vibrations caused the damaged boom to fail, causing havoc.

Time for ordering spares and a rebuild. Will do a through strip-down inspection first!

Great little machine – hope to be up again soon!

Wouter
    Participant

Good luck repairing,
    Where is it you are flying?

biggestRCEfan
    Participant

Brisbane, Aus.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.