Home Forums Everything about everything else antenna up or down.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Crass
    Participant

Probably personal preference, but what does anyone have to say about receiver antenna placement? Up or down? Im using a hitec optima 7 which has one antenna ( not like the optima 9 which has 2). Mounted it in the up position, towards the front of my tricopter.

What say ye, people of the internet.

donnyb
    Participant

Hi Crass! I think it might be best to point it straight up. The reason is that the antenna is considered a dipole. Pointing it up it tends to be omnidirectional in turn means it can receive in all directions. If you lay your antenna in a horizontal direction (down)it could become directional. It probably wouldn’t make a did deranged if your flying close to the transmitter, but once you get out a bit it might lose reception while your turning. Not 100% sure at 2.4 ghz. The wavelength is very small and very directional.

donnyb
    Participant

Sorry the phone randomly puts words in that it thinks is right. The sentence meant probably wouldn’t make a difference if your really close to the transmitter. lol (dang spell corrector)

Crass
    Participant

I meant pointing it straight up versus pointing it straight down. If you have watched the build video for tricopter v3, when David sets up his antennas for the optima 9 receiver, he points one up from the main body of the tricopter and then points one straight down by attaching it to the boom of his tricopter. up or down (vertical not horizontal).

Wondering which way is better for when i eventually get to flying higher up in the air. I have the hitec system, optima 7, so only one antenna. thinking about getting the 9 so i have both.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about everything else’ is closed to new topics and replies.