Home Forums Everything about the Baby Tricopter Baby Tri back in the air

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    MadPoet
    Participant

@jihlein I use ibus, also on uart2, but I solder to the rx/tx pads. Sbus is inverted. Oscar sums up this board nicely in words and pictures https://oscarliang.com/matek-f405-ctr-fc-release/

No time today for flying or testing, sorry.

Kevin_Erik

Its the standard SBus setup as per the Matek data sheet. Only had to update the Frsky receivers firmware to work with my EU Taranis. Other then that it requires “Resource Softserial to TX2” be established. (CLI, resource serial tx_11 = a02) Next enable softserial as the Smartport within the user tab configuration. This is all assuming that the user has Betaflight installed.

Matek SBus wiring: http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=f405-ctr#tab-id-3

Betaflight Pins: http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=f405-ctr#tab-id-4

Frsky manual: https://www.frsky-rc.com/r-xsr/

Oscar Liang R-XSR ports: https://oscarliang.com/uninverted-sbus-smart-port-frsky-receivers/

Kevin_Erik

@jihlein

email sent

jihlein
    Participant

Starting to think the 405 CTR port might not be worth the effort. There appears to be too many features that dRonin can’t support. It would be a very basic port.

The trouble spots I see are:
    1)No SD Card support
    2)No VTX or camera control
    3)I “think” the SBUS input has an open collector inverter on it so you can use SBUS with the inverter (SBUS pad) or another serial protocol hooked up downstream of the inverter (RX2 pad). For SPort or Sensor hub, you will need external inverter circuitry, either uni or bi directional as appropriate. Or a hacked RX that does not need an inverter….
    4)LED strip (coded differently, necessary resources not available from what I can tell)

Things that should work:
    1)gyro/accel (kind of important!! 🙂 )
    2)6 outputs, PWM/Oneshot/Dshot (might be able to sacrifice one for LED strip….)
    3)Various receiver protocols, noting the external inverter need mentioned above for telemetry
    4)OSD (although I’ve never used this feature when integrated onto an FC, there’s some risk this won’t work)
    5)I2C Baro with optional external mag
    6)3 analog inputs

Thoughts?

Kevin_Erik

1,2 & 4 isnt a killer and 3 can be inverted directly from the Frsky receiver.
    However, having 1 at some point would be a really nice wish-list item.

MadPoet
    Participant

@jihlein thanks, it really doesn’t matter to me. I got that board as it was cheap and got me back into the air quickly. I’ll likely go back to the F3FC, as I do have a minimOSD micro to go with it, so the only thing I would be lacking is a logger – which I am not too fussed about. I have been reading a LOT about dronin over the last few days. I really like what I see, if I could spend less time tuning and more time flying – that would be alright with me. I also have a couple of HGLRC F428 stacks, these are based on the Omnibus F4 no SD firmware. I’ve read on one thread at the dronin forums that at least one user is having success with various HGLRC stacks on dronin. Once I get my 3 inch from the tree 🙂 I’ll load dronin on it. Mean time I have another stack on my desk waiting for another build (3″ Massive Droner w/ BH Avenger 1507s). I have hooked up three motors to it and a servo, just working out the best way to get servo signal without soldering to the cpu, hehe. If this works I’ll load up dronin without the triflight routines and give it a whirl. @jihlein thanks for all your help, I am just thinking outload w/ regard to HGLRC stack, there is plenty of info out there to get me started, not looking for help at this stage.

Kevin_Erik

Far as i know of the Frsky R-XSR I’m using wires directly up to the FC using only the wiring harness provided. If anything needed inversion, this would require either adapting the harness or dropping an extra wire from the correct pad on the back of the receiver card. Keep in mind that I haven’t had to invert anything since i started using the R-XSR. (6 months) For the older receivers / FC’s this was quite common but I think mfr’s are starting to adapt to the needs of the consumer more. Other then that it requires “Resource Softserial to TX2” be established. (CLI, resource serial tx_11 = a02) Next enable softserial as the Smartport within the user tab configuration.

Note: Previously i provided a link to the Frsky manual showing the wiring required. The Matek FC on the other hand can be wired up more than one way depending on the builts individual needs. (which is nice)

Matek SBus wiring: http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=f405-ctr#tab-id-3

Betaflight Pins: http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=f405-ctr#tab-id-4

Frsky manual: https://www.frsky-rc.com/r-xsr/

Oscar Liang R-XSR ports and extra pins for inversion: https://oscarliang.com/uninverted-sbus-smart-port-frsky-receivers/”

jihlein
    Participant

I suspect Betaflight, when selecting soft serial for SPort telem, performs the necessary inversion in the soft serial algorithm. I haven’t looked, but it’s the only thing that makes sense if your connecting SPort to an F4 FC without a signal inverter.

Kevin_Erik

Yeah that sounds more likely than BFM.

Inversion shouldn’t be an issue as I’ve done it before using the XM receiver.

MadPoet
    Participant

I took the Baby Tri up to a bigger field for some more testing. I replaced the ratty old antennas before taking it up there, I used an old RX from another model, which cut them up pretty good. Currently I am running with 25mm standoffs, going for a low profile look. But with the runcam Split, I can’t get anything better than 5/10 degree angle on my camera. I think I will go back to the 30mm standoffs, the camera angle is slowing me right down. I’ve been running Dal props or other beefy props for over a year now. I’ve weighed those against the stock HQ props and some of my King Kongs that came with another model, hmm half the weight. Time to take the training wheels off, time to play with lighter props.

That other field is only about 1/4 mile away, not sure why I haven’t used it until now. I do need to find a better place to pilot from, the front gate isn’t suitable if I want to fly the whole field.

Here’s the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv6nb2SZKpc

It ends in a spectacular crash and longer walk of shame – damn I need to cut my grass. What’s interesting is the video doesn’t really line up with the controlling. You’ll see me trying to regain control after some non-inputed adjustments. When it touches the ground the first time, is the moment I disarmed, but it bounced back and carried on a bit longer. It was like there was lag between the input and execution of commands.

On my other project I’ve got 3 motors (1407s) and a servo (emax ESo8MDII) working on the HGLRC F428 flight stack (w/ triflight 3.1.7). I printed up a frame and a Impossible Tilt, scaled down for the 1407 motors for it and mounted everything up. The frame is 67% of a 5″ frame, the tilt is 69% of the original. The 20×20 mounts, line up perfectly. Unfortunately I haven’t worked out how to mount the camera yet, with the current model at that scale, there is not a lot of room for a micro camera.
    No servo feedback wire (yet) but completes the first tailtune no issue. Everything works fine without the props on, but as soon as I add 3″ props, tail motor acts like it is de-syncing. I managed to arm it a couple of times without that issue and took it for a LOS, looks like I have my yaw reversed, as it just spins on the yaw axis. As I find time, I’ll play with it some more. Didn’t realize how close I am to having a 3″ tricopter ready to fly. Once I have everything working on betaflight (what I am most comfortable with) I will move it over to dRonin.

Kevin_Erik

Glad you were able to get get it up and flying! (Loved the power loops)

Looks like you are having similar issues to what my Tri-baby did. Feels a bit wobbly in forward flight and the tail Yaw feels off during hard turns. Biggest change i found was using a smaller battery helps some. (better CG) After 200 flights, I never tired mounting the battery on top of the copter. Maybe thats something can explore while i rebuild my tri.

Side note: Currently on vacaion at the North-Sea. Did a few flight with the Tri-mini. Unfortunately the tail wag was god awful.

MadPoet
    Participant

I’ve tried the battery ontop, I do like it. Recently I’ve been running smaller batteries (850mAh -1100mAh) so I’ve been thinking about it again, drop it to 20mm standoffs and top mount the battery pack. Looks slick too. It feels less swooshy with the bat on top.

Well I finally got off my lazy A$$ and soldered in a feedback wire on this servo. Had one on my previous servo, just wanted to see the difference, then didn’t want to open it back up. Since I printed new impossible tilt parts in black (on a new printer @ .1 resolution) I figured I might as well. Then I took it out for a few batteries on the old firmware.

I’ve since loaded the matekf405 hex for dRonin via betaflight, and gone through the configuration – a few times. I am stuck. I go through the config wizard, I can’t set the motor idle and servo end points, due to channel mapping. No worries I click through so that I can change it manually.

When I go to radio set up, I get nothing. When I troubleshoot radio setup, I often get my FC stuck in a boot loop. I am using the following;

Flit10 RX (w/ telemetry module)
    – TLM to TX2
    – vcc to 4v5
    – gnd to nearest gnd

Jumper T8SG Plus transmitter
    – default IBUS/PWM, no joy
    – IBUS/PPM, no joy
    – SBUS/PWM, no joy
    – SBUS/PPM, no joy

Also went through all the possibilities in the Hardware pane. I suspect it has something to do with how the Flit10 opperates w/ the telemetry module. I will have to pull it all apart and review my notes next chance I get. Bummer.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by MadPoet.
    MadPoet
    Participant

@jihlein I am not having any luck with my flysky receivers and Jumper radio – reinstall betaflight, no issue. I’ve tried all the combinations I can think of; it should work with the jumper set to IBUS/PWM and the RX soldered to RX2 without the telemetry module OR TX2 with the telemetry module. Nothing is working on dRonin, any suggestions?

Here’s a link to the RX, diagrams there; https://www.banggood.com/Flit10-2_4G-10CH-Micro-Telemetry-Flysky-Compatible-Ibus-Receiver-for-FS-I6X-FS-i6S-Turnigy-Evolution-p-1260238.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Here’s some notes on how I have things soldered;
    – Servo Feedback to RSSI
    – Servo pwr to nearest 5v
    – Servo gnd to nearest gnd

Flit10 RX (w/ telemetry module)
    – TLM to TX2
    – vcc to 4v5
    – gnd to nearest gnd

Matek VTX HV
    – 7-27v to VBT (near cam)
    – gnd (-) to nearest gnd
    – 5v not used
    – gnd to nearest gnd
    – video to vtx
    – TX to TX3

RunCam Split 2
    – vcc+ to 5v (near cam)
    – gnd to nearest gnd
    – video to cam
    – audio to VTX audio in
    – gnd to next nearest gnd
    – RX (blue) to TX4
    – TX (orange) to RX4

Any suggestions?

jihlein
    Participant

Unfortunately not at the moment. I’m away on business travel, I can take a look at things when I get home. I’ve never used IBUS before, so I’m not familiar with the protocol.

There may be some issues using both RX2 and TX2 for receiver and telemetry in dRonin, as dRonin does not support soft serial, which I know is used to support SPort telemetry on TX2 with SBUS on RX2. That’s the only way to use different serial protocols on the same RX/TX pad pair.

MadPoet
    Participant

Cool thanks, when ever you get a chance. Just so you know it is EITHER RX2 without tele module OR TX2 with it, not BOTH pads at the same time.

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.