Home Forums Everything about everything else Battery C Ratings

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    donnyb
    Participant

This is the first question It really stumps me. I been buying Battery’s with 30 to 60 C rating. The multi-rotor battery’s at hobby king boast a 10-20 C rating. I know a lot of batteries for dji use this low C rating. Is there a benefit to a lower C rating? Or is it better to use the higher C rating? Also what the better battery to put on the tricopyer. I get about 15 minutes with a 3.3 amp.

Chadwick
    Participant

Higher C rating batteries are usually a little heavier than lower c rating batteries. Higher c rating batteries have a lower internal resistance so you also get less voltage sag at high power. What batteries exactly are claiming 10-20c? Might that be charge rate?(though that seem pretty high to me)

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

Ok, here are your calculations:
    Take your amps at full throttle, divide by the capacity of the battery in Ah. That is the C rating you need. You need at least that. If it’s higher, you get less voltage sag, but the weight and price will be higher.
    Let’s say you’re on the tricopter that uses 60a at full throttle. Divide that by the 1000 mAh = 1 Ah, you need 60C battery. Bad luck. Too, freaking, expensive and heavy! But if you’ll put 1500 mAh = 1.5 Ah there, you’ll only need 40C, which is doable!

donnyb
    Participant

I decided to post a page from hk. There listed as multi rotor lipos. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__1387__85__Batteries_Accessories-Multirotor_Lipoly.html

I’ve always thought you would want the higher C rating.

Chadwick
    Participant

It looks like they are designed for endurance, not high power output. Mind you a 4000mah 10c still gives youn 40 amps constant current, so it’s a trade off really. It’s about the same weight for a 4000mah 4S 10c as 3000mah 4s 20c

biggestRCEfan
    Participant

The concept of the multistar lipos is that multirotors have a relatively constant amp draw, as opposed to fixed-wing that can loiter or cruise at a a lower amp draw but be required to deliver much higher current during high speed dash or 3D stuff/aerobatics.

donnyb
    Participant

Kind of curious I use a 2200 and a 3300 anyone use a larger battery? I was thinking of 5000 mah. Too heavy?

biggestRCEfan
    Participant

I put two slim 2650mAh on my FT toughtilt and it works fine. I get 20 plus minutes. A bit heavier, need to adjust piloting a bit when coming from 2200mAh.

donnyb
    Participant

Hey thank you. I had been wondering for a little while about that. I think I remember David had a 4000 mah on a video. And I didn’t want to try one of the hi amp low C rating battery’s unless I had talked with some one first hand. I’ve built 2 hexacopters that could take a 5+ amp battery. But probably not at a 20C rating. Thanks for the info.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about everything else’ is closed to new topics and replies.