Home Forums Everything about everything else Board turn-offs in flight/possibly Defective Board?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    aoym
    Participant

So I have run into the problem with my rmrc dodo tricopter that the board randomly turns off in flight when I fly. By turnoff I mean the board literally resets. After it crash lands it often does the confirmation beeps of finding level so that it could be rearmed. I have a video of this from my most recent flight but I won’t be able to upload the video for a few days. Does anyone have any idea what may cause this? I’m about to exchange board to see if that fixes this issue.

Most recently I was hovering in decently high wind, and the board simply turned off about 15ft above the ground. Luckily there was no real damage but this is still frustrating because it is beautiful up here and I would like to fly FPV. I have checked the board and power for any shorts and I cannot find any. When this board is shorted it resets. So I think that the board might simply be defective.

However the random board shut offs only occur when I visit my friends up north and fly near them. This never occurs in the city I live in. I have yet to have the board turn off while flying where I live. Now there are three differences between the city my friends live in and the city I live in.

Altitude: My altitude is 1140ft or 350m, their altitude is 6910ft or 2106m.
    Temperature: My cities temperature is usually about 70F or 21.1C, their temp is 42F or 5.56C
    Wind: Their city is typically windier than mine.

Now I have no clue why altitude would cause this issue. I also have no clue why temperature would cause this issue. In fact I have my 600mw VTx next to the board and that VTx often gets quite warm. I would be surprised if it doesn’t keep the board at a semi-ambient temperature in colder environments. i have never heard of a board turning off because of the cold. As for wind I also don’t understand why that could be a problem. I recently flew in fairly heavy wind in the city I live in. The flights were just fine and nothing happened.

biggestRCEfan
    Participant

The altitude difference is significant. Suggest you somehow measure the current required to hover at same take-off Weight. Due to lower air density the props need to spin faster to generate the same thrust. My theory is that over-current is causing the board to shut down. This also happens when tail servo binds.

aoym
    Participant

biggestRCEfan I highly doubt it. The times that the board turns off it is usually at low throttle. I was holding steady at about 10-15ft off the ground last time it failed and that is not difficult at all. Furthermore the difference in throttle between this altitude and my normal altitude is very small if not negligible at times. I suspect this is because of air being denser from colder weather. Anyway, the difference in throttle for flight is near negligible, so the difference in energy required should be near negligible, and therefore I do not believe it is a current issue or over-currenting the board. In fact before this issue was showing itself I went 100% throttle for about 5 seconds a few weeks ago, and the board handled it fine. It was only when I was flying around at lower throttles that issues arose. Thank you for your suggestions though!

aoym
    Participant

Here is the video I said I would post.

billyd
    Participant

It’s either a bad board, bad cable, or bad solder joint somewhere. You see this from time to time on these forums. There’s a lot of things that can go wrong with these copters. You have a DODO but I’ve had the same issue on a Naze32 board as well. Easiest way to approach this is by replacing things one at a time until the problem goes away. Change/check the cables first. Check all your solder joints. Rebind your Rx. Replace your Rx. Replace the FC etc.

donnyb
    Participant

Hi!aoym.
    I was wondering if you done a range check. I’ve had a few receivers that would randomly disarm my quad. Found to be a defective antenna. Some cases it could be a noisy environment. (Rf that is).Also if you use the standard dupont connectors they really need to be snug. Just a thought.

aoym
    Participant

@donnyb I have not, however I do have my failsafes set. When the board goes into failsafe it will turn the motors off and start beeping the failsafe beeps (aka lost model beeps). What you hear in this video is actually just the board startup beeps so I don’t think it was a failsafe issue. Though I should probably do a range check.

@billyd I’m thinking it is a bad board. I redid all of my solder joints the first time this happened and it happened again… So there’s that. I don’t think it is receiver related and I have gone ahead and replaced the FC and it seems good so far!

billyd
    Participant

@aoym I was leaning in that direction (bad board) because in your vid, you’ll notice that right before the cut out it does a flip. If it was a receiver failsafe it would just drop straight down.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about everything else’ is closed to new topics and replies.