Home Forums Everything about the Mini Tricopter Camera tray on a Mini Tricopter

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Maxisokol
    Participant

Hello, fellow RC-explorers!
    My question is simple – is it possible and does it make sense to attach a camera/battery tray to a Mini Tricopter, instead of a full-size V3 Tricopter?
    Obviously it will make the mini a little heavier and slower which is not good for racing purposes. But extra space for a bigger battery and a nice gopro mount with vibration dampening are very nice features to have for a more relaxed style of flying. What do you think?

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

For relaxed flying it might be possible, but lose the canopy then to save weight. Canopy is there to protect the battery and electronics in the hard crashes. If you attach the tray, you should basically start flying more careful. So no protection needed. And weight savings will be significant.

Terje

@Maxisokol If you need inspiration, the camera tray in this build might help you 🙂

RCExplorer V3 inspired tricopter mini (295mm wheelbase)

Maxisokol
    Participant

@LeoTheHuman Good point – the battery tray can replace most of the functions of the canopy. Of course mounting the fpv camera won’t be so convenient, but I think I can live with that.
    @Terje Thanks, that’s really cool! On the video the setup looks pretty dope – especially the led strip of the bottom of the tray. 🙂
    I guess I’ll order the tray and try to figure out how easy it is to attach it to the MiniTri.

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

It attaches the same way as to the V3, same plates are used.

Terje

@Maxisokol You might want to just order the pre-bent vibration dampening wire the Top wire holders and the bottom wire holders and make the acual tray out of 2mm plywood with a strip to support it, to save weight on the mini. That G10 camera/battery tray is really heavy on the mini.

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

I also noticed that it’s really huge for the mini. You might want to make it a few cm shorter.

Maxisokol
    Participant

Solid advice guys, thank you! 🙂

swissfreek
    Participant

To me, the battery tray (more specifically, the mounting points for the wires) is the weak point of the V3. I get that it gives you some more mounting options, but the way I fly (and crash) my minis, I don’t think it’ll last two seconds. The wooden one from back in the v2.5 days was built like a tank, but the G10 and PLA version gets jacked up on even the slightest hard landing. I think when I get serious about my V3 again once I get my mini flying nicely, I’ll probably be trying to find a new solution for the battery tray.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.