Home Forums Everything about everything else David's FliteTest Interview

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

Just listened to David’s Flitetest Interview, lots of interesting stuff, particularly Mini tricopter !
    Whats comes over is David’s genuine enthusiasm and great knowledger of the Hobby and how hard he is working to make RC Explorer the sucess it is.
    Makes me feel pleased I am a part of this great Tricopter Hobby.

mjpilot
    Participant

I love the interview too. I hope he can come to Flite Fest.

Terje

Do you have a link to the interview, or is it on pay-per-view / flitetest Extra?

Alan
    Participant

Hi Terje, it is on the Flitetest web site, it is one of their podcasts I think. I found it under the ‘multirotor’ tab at the top of their page. Second article down.

Alan
    Participant
    Terje

Thanks a lot for the link! Interesting interview – been flying my mini-tri with the new integrated Naze32 and PDB FPV for the first time on tuesday (video coming up) and was thinking that it really needs OneShot 🙂 Seems David is once again way ahead of me – should be really interesting to see what he has come up with in regards to the mini-tri.

My biggest problem right now is getting rid of the battery tray since there is no obvious place to put both a GoPro and a board camera. The latency in the GoPro makes it very difficult to do proximity flying! David is probably going to hack the HDMI on the GoPro to get real-time video out or something crazy like that 😉

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

You can put the board camera in top of the main frame, it should be fairly empty if you use naze32 frame. Mounting options include the tilt gimbal, pan&tilt gimbal or just hard mount. I wouldn’t be very worried about the vibration on the fpv cam, it shouldn’t be too bad with good high kv motors and balanced props.

Terje

Yeeeees, I am talking about getting rid of the battery tray. Then mounting both the GoPro and the board camera (as well as the battery) on the top plate.

Receiver and Vtx can be sandwiched between the top plate and a 3rd plate, making room for the battery on top. – But where to put the GoPro? Both GoPro and board camera need unobstructed forward facing view.

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

No-no-no, I’d never get rid of the best part of the frame, keeping the battery safe, that also keeps CG lower than the props and stops vibrations from getting to high quality gopro videos. It might need cutting a little bit shorter though… I might also drill some holes in the tray under the battery to make it lighter.

Robert C
    Participant

Almost finished with the interview, thanks for the heads up. Always fun to listen to.

As for the mini, I am looking forward to it. I would personally get rid of the Gopro altogether, the mini will be a beater and I can’t really afford to wreck my Gopro, as it was a personal gift, and mounting would be a lot easier.

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

I’m actually flying my minis with a keychain camera #16 for recording. It’s not as sharp as GoPro, but it does the trick. I only got a GoPro a week ago, while I was on vacation in the states, so I didn’t fly it yet. I’m not sure if I will build a full size tri any time soon, as I enjoy the mini so much. I’m also afraid I might need to rethink ESC placement on the full size one to make it work as I wanted, with motor wires in the booms, not esc wires.

donnyb
    Participant

I think it was a great interview. I also think that the difference between the quad and the trickster needs a video along with commentary to really describe the difference. While flying show the swooppyness would bring the trickster in a new light.

donnyb
    Participant

That was supposed to say tricopter. Lol

Terje

Guess you just named the new mini tricopter 😀

The RCExporer Tricopter Trickster (Mini FPV acrobatic tricopter)

😉

Alan
    Participant

From the hint David drops in the ad for the Aerial Grand Prix in Austria looks like the Mini Tri ( or Trickster !) Could get an outing. What chance of Video ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about everything else’ is closed to new topics and replies.