Home Forums Everything about the Mini Tricopter Debugging the tricopter mini racer

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 940 total)
  • Author
    LeoTheHuman
    Participant

What do you mean by “Arduino failed”? I would expect the USB linker to have the same hardware Arduino does, and the only difference would be that you won’t be able to do something wrong, because you will already have the correct firmware and pin connections on it. (:

Rustypaint
    Participant

Use pin 11 with the 1 wire interface for blheli bootloader
    http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?18097-BLHeli-USB-Linker-interface-with-Arduino

Rotorblade
    Participant

I wanted to give a big thanks Lauka, Terje, and others for helping to make the mini tricopter flight experience better.

This is the first mini racer anything I’ve flown and I want be able to provide feedback on the firmware and settings update.

I am running the electronics kit in the shop on 3s large batteries at the moment until my 1800 60c 4s gets here.

I flew triflight .1 beta for the first time tonight with the suggested CLI settings from the minitri shop area. The firmware is a huge improvement over the v3 1.9.0 version of the tricopter firmware.

I initally experienced the yaw moving back and forth throughout the envelope of flight. Now with triflight .1 beta it is smoothed out considerably. I am now able to fly with the pedal to the metal and keep it steady but there still is a little yaw back and forth but it is super minimal.

Again thanks for having this thread here. There is a lot of great information in it.

2ma
    Participant

Hey guys ! I’m amazed by the work you are doing in there 🙂 Have you seen the Flitetest Episode Super Honey Badger ?

What do you think of putting a tail rotor on the mini tri ? It would give a crazy yaw control minus the problem of tail wagging 🙂 For sure it will be less crash resistant but it would look crazzzyyyy ! Maybe it could be underneath the tail, maybe like the craft in Oblivion

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

I would go for a A tail quad instead. The problem with the vertical tail rotor is that it adds the weight of the motor and ESC to the craft, but produces no lift or forward thrust.

2ma
    Participant

It’s true but imagine the crazy spin 😀

Brian Black
    Participant

What I mean by Arduino failed is that I tried all three possible bootloaders C2, SimonK, and BLHeli. I was able to program the Arduino, “connect” to the ESC (under BLHeli), but was not able to “read” or flash. I am hoping (perhaps against reason) that the “proper tool” will make a difference. Maybe it is just a bad batch of ESCs…

lauka
    Participant

As Boris seems to have settled with his changes now, I merged the to latest betaflight today and had a quick flight test. Wow! What a difference. I could up my P gains considerably.

I still have to play a bit with the branches, I will commit them maybe tomorrow and compile new hexes from 0.1 and 0.2 beta.

While I was at it I noticed that all PID controllers apply a low pass filter to the P term on yaw axis (commit by Boris). I don’t know why Boris added this, might help on quads. I will test to remove it for a tricopter as it adds a little bit of latency. Yaw axis P term with a servo definitely doesn’t need a filter.

Terje

Great work @lauka 🙂 Looking forward to test the new firmware the coming weekend!

Patrick
    Participant

… Please make some Setup suggestions for this firmware with Tricopter V3 also … please 🙂

lauka
    Participant

The new betaflight removes the looptime setting and tries to keep the looptime internally at 1000. It might not run optimally on V3 if you run luxfloat and gps, leds or other fancy sensors that take execution time. This is IMO a decision that Dominic will never add to the cleanflight until a better way to determine looptime is made. Older targets like naze can’t keep up with 1000 us looptime.

V3 would be better of with a 1.10 based triflight once it’s released. Even better if we could some day get some of these changes in cleanflight.

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

I’ll be waiting for your tests to finish. I hope you come up with something before the weekend. They promise a great weather here Fri-Tue. I can’t believe I will have more than a day to fly! (:
    I have just found Armattan Morphite V2 in my mail, so I might be busy with it for a couple nights.

stormin
    Participant

My mini tricopter kit is enroute – can’t wait to start the build. @lauka I was wondering if you have a branch on git with the latest betaflight v2 and your tricopter improvements? I’d be interested in giving that test fly.

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

There are multiple branches there. But I expect this to be his latest puppy: https://github.com/lkaino/Triflight/tree/betaYawMotor (:

lauka
    Participant

I finished with the branches today, but couldn’t test as the never ending flight denying autumn rains have started.

Would like to test a bit tomorrow before putting hexes here.

It seems that PID1 would work better with the tail improvements (less float operations), but the tail TPA doesn’t yet support integer PID controllers. It would also help if we would convert the yaw force curve array to ints rather than floats. But I don’t have time to do these now, Leo? 🙂

Looking forward to go show mini tri at a model flying field on weekend. They only fly LOS planes there so let’s see what they think:)

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 940 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.