Home Forums Everything about the Mini Tricopter Debugging the tricopter mini racer

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 940 total)
  • Author
    PlanB
    Participant

It’s a pity when outdated hardware is a performance limiting factor.

@Lauka, is the lack of performance of F1 controller the reason you changed defaults to looptime 2000 and MWREWRITE in beta2?

First I began testing beta2 with new default settings, but after all decided that looptime 1000 and LUX gives way better result for me on F3 controller. I mean i really can feel the difference and I never managed to get as good results on MWREWRITE.

rue
    Participant

> It’s a pity when outdated hardware is a performance limiting factor.

You’re right – but my point was that if you’re striving for a 1k looptime on LUX the F1 is quite happy to deliver. Going lower than that requires you to deactivate ACC on F1 (not necessary on F3). Check out the BF wiki and thread about the achievable looptimes on different targets.

For new controllers it’s absolutely clear that F3 is the way to go.

PlanB
    Participant

@rue, but why looptime set to 2000 in beta2?

rue
    Participant

Not sure why @lauka has changed the default. Advantages of higher looptimes are the reduced sensitivity to vibration induced artifacts due to higher sampling rate and better options to tweak filters, with the “built in” Naze of the RCE frame where there’s no option to stick some foam underneath the board this actually might come quite handy. Have been following betaflight more closely…

lauka
    Participant

The intention was to use default looptime of 1000 us. I must have missed that one when setting the defaults for 0.5b2.

Bengt
    Participant

Means the PID settings have to change too?

lauka
    Participant

I was running 1000 us looptime when tuning. In theory the gains should work on 2000 us as well but I recommend everyone to change looptime to 1000.

Need to fix the default in next version.

Terje

@lauka, sorry for being so dense, but I haven’t been able to getting the tail tune to work 🙁 Could you clarify a few things?

ARM the tricopter, then turn on tail tune. Tail tune will start after 5 seconds after tail tune is activated whether the tricopter is on the ground or in the air (During tha time you hear 5 beeps at 1 second intervals?). Does it matter which flight mode the tricopter is in? Angle/Horizon or rate?

When tail tune is active, what should you be doing? Just make sure it is level and hovering and try to keep your hands off the sticks? What is the beep pattern while calibrating? What is the “done calibrating” beep pattern? How long does it take? (I can’t hear the beeper over the props)

When calibrating is done, you land and disarm, wait 10 seconds and turn off tail tune? Is there a beeper pattern that tells you it is safe to turn off tail tune? Do you need to save the result afterwards? If yes, how do you do that?

Hope you can help me understand 🙂

Empirator
    Participant

Minor offtopic:
    Is there a difference between Triflight for the MiniTri and the Tri V3(.5)?

I upgraded my V3 with a NAZE32 rev6 and got it to work with my X4RSB and Triflight 0.4 NAZE SBUS FIX, which I found in this thread. Do I need to change other things beside PID?

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

I guess you need to do the tailtune, but I might be off on this one as I’ve never tried to set the V3(.5) on Triflight so far. I know, it sounds weird… I need to get working on it!

billyd
    Participant

@terje as far as I know the newer versions of triflight should do tailtune on the bench. You do it in an unarmed state. Enable tail tune and then roll left to set 40 degree tilt to left (adjust with yaw stick). roll right to set 40 degree tilt to right. Pitch up to set center. (all adjust with yaw stick). Then if you have the servo position wire connected and enabled in CLI, you can pitch down and the speed calculation (thrustfactor) is done automatically. If you don’t have the servo position wire connected you have to do this part in a hover. Once it’s done turn off tail tune and use both sticks down and to the outside to save the results. (although it is claimed it is save automatically, this hasn’t been my experience).

To do the thrustfactor part of tail tune in flight. Arm the copter and go into a stable hover. Enable tail tune and hover until you get a repeating series of rapid beeps (about a minute or two of hovering is required). Stay off the sticks as best you can, it will do the tuning faster if you do. Land, disarm and turn off tail tune. Move both sticks down and outboard to save. Fly.

EDIT: You have to do the hover tail tune as well in any event to calculate thrustfactor. The bench tailtune only does servo position and speed (if servo feedback wire is connected and enabled).

lauka
    Participant

@Terje: if you can’t use it then it’s not user friendly. At least the beeping must be improved. And I don’t think it requires that many samples to calculate accurate value. So the tuning time could be reduced. What @billyd said is correct.

Sorry for late reply, I have been busy with a particular F3 board. Must say, it’s really awesome :).

PlanB
    Participant

@billyd, thrust factor and servo speed are not the same. Tailtune mode while unarmed lets you set servo endpoints and measure servo speed (if you have servo feedback wire connected). Tailtune mode while in flight automatically measures and sets thrust factor (which is a coefficent for the propeller being used).

All together – servo endpoints, thrust factor and servo speed – are absolutely critical parameters for triflight. You should learn to and set them properly.

lauka
    Participant

@PlanB: okay read billyd’s description more carefully, it was a bit off. Thanks for correcting. What @PlanB said is correct :).

billyd
    Participant

@Planb Correct. Sorry I bungled that post somewhat. I added an edit to correct the post but left my original mistaken comment to prove how bad my memory is, so I don’t forget how bad my memory is lol

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 940 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.