Home Forums Everything about everything else dRonin for Tricopters! (TriRonin)

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 634 total)
  • Author
    billyd
    Participant

Thank you! I am like a monkey with a hand grenade wondering what the pin is for.

billyd
    Participant

Ok there is no option for external mag on the configuration hardware screen with the original dronin kakute firmware. Or I just can’t find it.

billyd
    Participant

Ok did the new firmware install and mag works! Weird thing with this gps compass unit, I have the compass arrow pointing forward facing up, but I had to set the hardware to bottom and 90 degree cw in dronin to get it to read right. I guess they printed the arrow in the wrong place.

Got dark before I could rerun autotune and airborne tail tune so I’ll have to wait until tomorrow. Tonight I will add an LC filter to the video as there is alot of noise from the motors in the feed.

billyd
    Participant

If I am using uart4 for feedback 2 how do I set it up for analog rssi (0 to 3v). Which input do I select?

Vantasstic
    Participant

I just loaded the latest firmware. My initial observations:

1) Loading backup settings worked for the most part. I had to rerun the board orientation (tilt the frame 30 degrees), had to power cycle the hardware tab before it recognized the GPS was attached, and verified some settings in the Systems section.

2) OSD Related:
    a) Imperial seems to work, as mentioned, no display of feet/MPH/etc are present (for now)
    b) My Home Distance and Direction displays still will not show. I do have a GPS attached, but no mag sensor. I’d think Distance and Direction should work by GPS input alone. (I’m using NTSC video if that makes a difference).

It’s night here, so I only did a quick hover in the back yard…no issues with the hover test…worked as it did prior to the firmware update.

P.S. Is there a way to calibrate digital RSSI? I can set the ‘high’ reading in the Inputs by setting the RSSI slider to the indicated current reading (~1638 in my case). I can’t figure out how to set the low side. If I just turn off the Tx the ‘current reading’ goes to the failsafe setting (65xxx). The OSD RSSI display is not accurate in my current setup (drops to no bars at times even when in close).

P.P.S. I thought through the RSSI calibration. In the INPUTs tab, with my Tx on the RSSI ‘current’ reading was 1645. I set the RSSI MAX seting to 1645 to indicate 100%. It seems dRonin uses a ‘mid’ setting of 1000+/-. Since the RSSI MAX was 645 higher than 1000 I decided to set the MIN setting to 400…slightly less than 645 lower than 1000. Next flight should (hopefully) show a more reasonable RSSI indication. FWIW, I originally had the RSSI Min set to 1100…as that’s what I normally end up using in Betaflight and Ardupilot settings for the RSSI low signal.

penkypenk
    Participant

@Vantasstic: Thanks for checking the new firmware and loading backup settings to it. I also did that right now and it worked like a charm! Did not have to change one of the already made settings. Even board alignment has been taken over from the old one.

Very happy with that!!!

billyd
    Participant

Vantasstic I thought digital rssi was done during tx calibration or thought I read that somewhere.

I hope someone can answer my question about analog rssi on uart4

jihlein
    Participant

There a 3, optionally 4, active ADC inputs on the KakuteF4V2. They are as follows:

ADC0 Current (Idet Pad)
    ADC1 Battery
    ADC2 Rssi (Rsi Pad)
    ADC3 Fdbks (Optionally R4 Pad, configured on hardware tab)

Depending on how you wire things up, you can really use any ADCx input for any function, with the exception of ADC1, the battery monitor input. Just make sure to refer to the proper ADCX input in the widget setup. As an example, servo feedback, if connected to the Idet pad, would require ADC0 being set for the ServoFdbkPin, if connected to the Rsi pad, it would require ADC2.

As for the details of working with Rssi, I’ve never flown with that configured, so we’re going to have to figure out the details as we move along here.

billyd
    Participant

Thanks. I have the wire connected to R4 and configured in hardware tab.

Now on the tx screen it shows rssi and I can select various inputs but it’s not clear which one corresponds to uart4 (rx in). And then I’d have to figure out how to tell it max and min voltage for 100% to 0% signal.

But if it’s easier I can relocate the wire anywhere.

jihlein
    Participant

On the RC Input pane, for RSSI, I think you set type to ADC, and then under number you set ADC3. The number select box, at least on my display, is kind of squashed and hard to read, but I believe there are ADC options in there.

No idea what to set Min and Max values to, that will likely involve some experimentation.

billyd
    Participant

That’s enough for me to get it working thank you so much for everything! I can likely work it out through trial and error.

billyd
    Participant

Ok the rssi works great using uart r4. To calibrate, once you activate it on the input screen (ADC 3) the current rssi level is shown on the right (on the rssi row). So you simply put the antennas in the best position for maximum rssi and then set the right hand number (max value box) to that value (or slightly lower). The left hand box value is set to failsafe rssi. For me, since my rssi is 1.85v at failsafe and 2.5-3v at max rssi I simply set the right hand number to 2500 and the left number to 1850 (since the voltage is displayed in mv.

Works fantastic thanks jihlein.

ps Still fighting with noise in the video. I remember my big tricopter v3.5 had this issue and it took quite a bit of playing with filters and toroids to clean it all up.

I don’t see a distance to home or home arrow yet but maybe this won’t show up until I am flying? Do I need to have path planner enabled to get home locked?

Vantasstic
    Participant

@billyd, let me know if you get distance and direction to show. I haven’t figured out the magic for those yet. In the Systems tab is a setting for GPS. I think it will show there if you have home position lock…maybe…I remember seeing something like that at least.

billyd
    Participant

What filters should we use for navigation (attitude tab). INSoutdoors I assume but what about the other? Should we use RAW or INS?

Should we set home location to true or false? It seems like we should use false or does the preset home location change every time we boot up?

Vantasstic
    Participant

The ‘info box’ that pops up in the Systems tab say ‘uses preset home when enabled, otherwise uses location where GPS lock occurs’. To me it sounds like you want FALSE so it sets a new home position each time the FC is powered up and GPS lock is obtained.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 634 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about everything else’ is closed to new topics and replies.