Home Forums Everything about everything else dRonin for Tricopters! (TriRonin)

This topic contains 618 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by  PeterPankras 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 619 total)
  • Author

Vantasstic
    Participant

@billyd, yes direction home arrow sometimes pointed correct and sometimes not. I was getting back pitch and roll when I engaged RTL (while facing away from home). I like RTL to face home. I was also getting the pitch and roll in stabilized mode. I did calibrate the accel so don’t know why it was behaving this way in both modes.

billyd
    Participant

A little more testing with rth. It seems as though it works randomly. It’s behavior is that sometimes it just starts dropping after rth is engaged, even when it is too low to begin with (below rth altitude). So when that happens I switch it off. Then other times it works perfectly. Strange. I haven’t been able to isolate why it’s doing this. Just seems random. At first I thought it was alternating with each time I engaged rth but then I had to engage it three times to get it to work. So I can’t give any guesses as to what the bug is. But it is related to the home altitude and the rth altitude in some way. I would guess that would be a good place to look for the bug. Again, unless I am doing something wrong which is always a possibility!

billyd
    Participant

I posted this in RCG to see if I could get help with crossfire rssi and our firmware/dronin. I have copy pasted below if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

I am using dronin and a kakute f4 v2 flight controller. I have a nano diversity rx installed and working great on my copter. I want to send LQ to the “rssi” on the osd of the kakute. I have it set up to output LQ ( output 4) to channel 8 (an unused channel). I have output 4 wired to uart4 rx on flight controller.

In dronin (hardware screen) I have uart4 set up for rssi (or uart4 rx option either works the same way). On the input screen I have channel 8 input set for rssi and that set to tbs crossfire.

Now here’s the question. When LQ is at 300% my dronin input for rssi shows 1792 (which I assume is 1792us (since it’s treating it like a servo level). Is this normal? Or is something not right. And if I assume this to be correct and set 1792 to my max LQ (and therefore full bars on the OSD rssi graph). What should I set the min servo level to? Ideally it would be the level where LQ is at the minimum for comms to be maintained without a failsafe. Any ideas would be helpful. Again everything else is functioning perfectly.

Thanks!

billyd
    Participant

I think I’m talking to myself but whatever. I realized that I probably don’t need uart4 or the separate connection from the nano rx output 4 to the uart (for rssi or LQ) since I am using crsf as my input protocol and have tx and rx connected to my nano and uart3. That’s why my crossfire sees the gps as well without directly connecting sda and scl. So that connection for rssi is not needed (or shouldn’t be). Just have to setup the crossfire to output rssi or LQ on an open channel and the input screen should see it once rssi is set to tbs crossfire and the channel selected. But even with it removed I am still seeing 1792 at 300% LQ so the question remains why isn’t it working or is it working?

swissfreek
    Participant

I was kinda wondering what you were getting at, haha. That’s what I meant when I said I set LQ to Channel 12. And yes, 1792 seems normal, because that’s what it does it translate the RSSI to PWM. For a minimum LQ anything under 70 is probably big problem territory. That means you’re down to limited telemetry mode and 70% of that…

billyd
    Participant

yes I do a lot of stupid things I don’t know why. I am new to crossfire and in my defense the docs are a little spotty. But yes once I connected tx and rx between the nano crossfire rx and uart3 of the kakute all the info is already being shared. The light finally came on. Just wish the crossfire has a 1mw mode for testing out failsafe in my shop without have to set it to 10mw and walk 500 yards away lol. This is a case of the crossfire being too damn good at what it does lol!

Vantasstic
    Participant

Yeah, not a huge user base here. Talking outloud sometimes helps to resolve problems…or pass on information to others, so keep talking…

FWIW, I know nothing about crossfire and have a real dislike for Trappy, so anything TBS is verboten for me.

billyd
    Participant

That’s my intent to help others as I stumble around bumping into stuff in the dark.

Regarding TBS I understand he definitely has ruffled his share of feathers. However I will say that crossfire is EXTREMELY impressive. I had no idea just how good this is. I can’t get signal strength to drop lol. I had it at 10wm inside a shop and walked 200 yards away and still had 300% LQ. So that’s kind of crazy.

swissfreek
    Participant

Yeah Trappy can get a little prickly and he’s a polarizing personality, but I think his intent is genuine (the hobby succeeding vs. just grabbing for money), their customer service is first rate (they’ve replaced stuff I admitted I blew up) and they really do have solid products. CrossFire is impressive now, and when it adds in the Fusion module here shortly to link your video and RC feed it’ll be even more so. The module itself is also impressive just as a module. Maybe I’m a bit of a fanboy, though, I dunno.

Anyhow, if you need more help deciphering stuff BillyD say the word and i’ll Help how I can. I know CrossFire really well, but not dRonin, most of my knowledge is with iNav and BetaFlight, so sometimes what I know to be “the way” just doesn’t exist in dRonin. I guess this time it did.

Wally
    Participant

Hi:

I have a V4 frame with old KK board. Recently upgraded to the Kakute F4 V2 & baby PDB. Wanted to install a GPS & compass unit (rmrc mini 880 GPS w/compass). I wanted to have an OSD, reading the dRonin info. An MWOSD is recommended. Am I ok on the UART’s?

GPS module on UART6, and MWOSD on UART4 ok?
    I ask because the RCExplorer pinout shows UART4 RX is assigned as an ADC, but other postson the forum seem to imply the RX is now available?

Thanks

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Wally.
    Attachments:

swissfreek
    Participant

KakuteF4 has OSD onboard. No need for MWOSD.

Wally
    Participant

How do you configure/set up the various OSD elements on the screen? Is there a graphical interface in dRonin similar to Betaflight that I’m missing? If so where? Or is it all stick commands via the Tx?

Thanks

swissfreek
    Participant

It’s worse: you have to go into the settings list and set the X/Y coordinates of each element. There is no graphical interface.

Wally
    Participant

Ahhh, I see now, thanks. Your right, gonna be tedious. Been spoiled by BetaFlight’s convenient OSD interface.

Vantasstic
    Participant

As you may/may not recall, my buddy and I have been chasing video jitters in our Tricopter LRs. We tried tuning, retuning, changing motors, changing props, and just couldn’t get rid of the jitters.

David sent me another set of arms so I could double them up and see if stiffer arms would solve the jittering issue. Well, the doubled arms did help some, but not enough to solve the issue.

At wits end I tried some 3-blade 7″ props and stepped up from a 3S to a 4S LiPo. Whoa. SIGNIFICANT improvement. The best was with HQ 7×4 3-blade props on 4S using the ‘recommended’ Emax RS 2207 1600kv motors. The amp draw is abot the same, or maybe slightly lower than using 3S and 8″ 2-blade props. Something to think about if you aren’t getting/want smoother video.

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 619 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.