Home Forums Everything about everything else dRonin for Tricopters! (TriRonin)

This topic contains 586 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  Vantasstic 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 587 total)
  • Author

swissfreek
    Participant

Wow that’s a significant improvement. I’ve got the same 7x4s and a big 4S pack from my 7” quad, might try swapping them out.

Vantasstic
    Participant

Yes, noticeable improvement with the 3-blades. Now I can see I have some tail wag, where before I couldn’t tell because of the jitters. My tilt servo has developed slop in it so I’m going to change it out. I didn’t want to drop any more $$ into the Tricopter LR unless I could fix the video jitter issue. Now that that looks to be solved the frame is worth keeping. It was ‘this’ close to going on the ‘For Sale’ list. I’d already ordered and received a 7″ quad frame to replace it.

swissfreek
    Participant

Are you keeping the arms doubled or have you gone back to “normal”?

Kevin_Erik

Just saw the video posted by Vantasstic, almost looks like its a resonance issue with the larger blades. I’m assuming that this was with dRonin?

Would be nice to see logs if dRonin had any…

Vantasstic
    Participant

I’m leaving the arms doubled. The single arms just seem a bit to flexy. Personaly I think they need to be ~4mm-5mm wider and minimum of 6mm thick. I have a Shendrone Ichabod Jr frame, for 5″ props, and it has 8mm arms. Nice and still and no jello/vibs at all.

Yes, I think between the props and frame a resonance is setting in. That’s why I keep thinking the arms should be more robust than they are now…wider and thicker I keep thinking. I have no logs on any of my flights or tests.

I am using dRonin fw.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Vantasstic.

swissfreek
    Participant

Yeah, Pawel Spychalski on YouTube is a big proponent of the 7” quads and he says the same thing: on a multirotor this large the arms should be a minimum of 6mm thick, ideally 7 or 8 (because anything thicker just isn’t practical in carbon fiber). And those are usually more rigid in general, with no moving parts or folding mechanisms, etc.

Kevin_Erik

Part of why i asked about dRonin is that the filtering options we have are largely automatic and don’t work in every situation.

billyd
    Participant

The battery (and on board equipment) weight will alter the excitation frequency (from the motors/props), since the motors will have to spin at generally higher speeds to perform the same flight maneuvers from a heavier copter to a lighter copter. Also the weight of all on board equipment (mostly battery) will impact the resonant (natural) frequency of the frame, with more weight resulting in a generally lower natural frequency. So perhaps going to a much heavier or much lighter battery (from where Vantasstic was having issues) would be enough to move the excitation frequency of the motor/props from the natural frequency of the frame to avoid resonance.

Vantasstic
    Participant

I ran into an odd issue today. I was using BLHeli-32 ESCs on DShot600. I had originally set this up in the Wizard when I first hooked everything up.

Today I pulled the DShot ESC and installed some BLHELI ESCs using Oneshot 125 (not DShop capable). I changed the ESC protocol to PWM Synch in dRonin Output screen. The motors wouldn’t arm reliable, and if I could get them to arm they wouldn’t run properly…kinda just jerk and stop. When I tested the motors in the Output tab they ran fine, nice and smooth. I tried calibrating, reflashing, etc and still couldn’t get them to run.

As a last ditch effort I reran the Wizard and indicated Oneshot 125 ESCs. I didn’t really want to run this as I figured I’d have to reset up everything in the FC. Well it turned out they worked fine after running the Wizard.

Looking out the motor Output signals I noticed a significant difference between the DShot setup and the Oneshot setup. The ESC low/high with DShot was 0us-2047us. For Oneshot its 120us-250us (or there abouts). I’ve never run into this with other FC firmwares. All I needed to do is change ESC protocol and everything was good to go. Is this ‘normal’ with dRonin or maybe some sort of bug???

p.s. I did try changeing the working Oneshot Wizard outputs to match the DShot outputs. It didn’t work, so I’m guessing there is something special in the settings between the different protocols.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Vantasstic.

swissfreek
    Participant

As far as I can tell, this is normal. Most other firmwares don’t let you see behind the curtain, so to speak, like they don’t have those range sliders, it’s all just dealt with as a black box. Without a doubt the difference you see in dRonin is happening behind the scenes when you change the protocol in iNav or BF or whatever (notice how you get more or less options to set, like Min Command, etc.). This is my first set of BLHeli_32 ESCs (on the LR), but I remember on my old OneShot ESCs the range was different than a normal PWM range (I found it annoying at the time, because I was used to setting min throttle as a PWM value like in BF). I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. I think in many ways, dRonin is very “old” firmware, and doesn’t behave or visualize things the way we are used to with “modern” BF or iNav (which aren’t necessarily better or worse, they have just become the expected behavior due to wider adoption).

Maisra
    Participant

Hi
    I downloaded dronin software the one David attached and I can’t find the tailtune or servo Cal as other call it . I tried everything , the servo feedback is working after checking it with multimeter it gave a roughly 3v when I moved the servo , furthermore I don’t seem to be able to arm the drone.
    I’m using babypdb and the kakute f4v2
    Thanks in advance

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Maisra.

Maisra
    Participant

Hi
    I downloaded dronin and install it but no matter what I do I can’t find tailtune or servo Cal .
    I have the triflight version of dronin but servo Cal is not included
    Where can I find it

swissfreek
    Participant

Should be the bottom option in the drop-down where you select the flight modes, as long as you’ve followed the direction in the video to enable Triflight in the settings and such. It will be called ServoCal.

The most recent version that @jihlein has developed is posted here: https://rcexplorer.se/forums/topic/dronin-installers/

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  swissfreek.

Maisra
    Participant

I looked everywhere , I followed every step David shows but I can’t find it at all
    I did change triflight to enable and virtual servo to disable but still no point

Maisra
    Participant

I looked everywhere , I followed every step David shows but I can’t find it at all
    I did change triflight to enable and virtual servo to disable but still no point

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 587 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.