Home Forums Everything about everything else dRonin for Tricopters! (TriRonin)

This topic contains 618 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by  PeterPankras 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 619 total)
  • Author

billyd
    Participant

@vantasstic ps I do agree that I think it sometimes uses old home locations and I think it has something to do with that true false setting. But the setting doesn’t seem to stick when saved.

finnen
    Participant

Another question. I haven’t found any good documentation on how to use the built in osd in the kakute. Is it even possible using dronin?

Vantasstic
    Participant

@finnen. Yes, you can use the Kakute OSD. You need to enable it in the HARDWARE tab. Then in ‘SYSTEMS’ go to the settings, Charactersomethingorother. setting to adjust the OSD. There is no OSD GUI. You have to manually set the X/Y coordinates for each OSD item you wish to display.

Vantasstic
    Participant

@billyd. I just checked in Google Earth. The distance from my house to the park I was flying is ~1.8 miles….which matches what the OSD Distance Home was showing. The arrow was not pointing to home though. I’ll have to play with the home settings I guess. It should lock ‘home’ as the position it was armed, not some place where it first ever acquired satellite lock.

Vantasstic
    Participant

Did my first flight with the new (fixed direction home arrow) firmware today. Didn’t work for my Matek F405 board. Sometimes the direction home pointed correctly, most time it didn’t, like 180 out. Distance home seemed to work fine though. I also just set the ‘home location’ via the dRonin OSD menu before takeoff. The manual home setting seemed to work fine. I’ll post a vid a little later.

FWIW, I know these need work, but I tried Position Hold and RTH modes today. Both did the same thing…tilt to the left and start flying sideways.

Vantasstic
    Participant

Direction home error video. Run at 4x speed to keep from being too long and boring. Home was the long black (carpet) runway. Also showed a short RTH engagement that ran the copter sideways vs back towards home.

jihlein
    Participant

Just a thought, have you performed the 6 point accel and mag calibrations?

Vantasstic
    Participant

@jhlein, yes and no on the 6-point calibration. Let me explain.

First, I’m using a BN-880 GPS with the wire connection towards the rear. I set the Mag Sensor orientation to ‘Bottom, 270CW’ orientation.

Second, I did a ‘normal’ accel calibration with the frame sitting on a level surface (not the 6-point).

Third, I did do a 6-point calibration on the mag sensor, but unchecked the ‘Accel Cal’ box for the 6-point calibration…so did mag sensor only.

Could this be the issue? Do I need to do both the mag and accel 6-point calibration to make the direction home arrow work properly? I can certainly give that a try for my next flying session (on Saturday).

jihlein
    Participant

The mag sensor orientation, 6 point mag calibration, and accel 6 point calibration are critical for proper nav operation.

If the mag sensor orientation and/or mag calibration is incorrect, that could easily explain the home arrow errors.

Likewise, an improper accel calibration could cause issues with altitude and position hold, for example the tilt left you are seeing.

So I’d recommend carefully doing the 6 point calibrations, then make sure the heading of the vehicle is correct at the 4 cardinal points. Then see if there’s any difference in the altitude and position hold behavior.

Vantasstic
    Participant

Thank you Jihlein, I did a 6-point mag and accel calibration. I’ll test fly tomorrow and test again.

billyd
    Participant

I stumbled across a transmitter stick menu that I never knew was there that allows you to manually set a home location. It’s a little fiddly to go through the menus as it doesn’t read the stick movements consistently but at least you can control where home is manually. I have not tested it to see if it works. You can access the menu when disarmed with the rudder and then navigate and selected with elevator and aileron.

ps probably everybody here already knew about this but it was a secret to me.

Vantasstic
    Participant

@billyd. LOL, yeah, I stumbled across the same thing. I’m guessing a new addition to the latest firmware. Setting home and adjust yaw PIDs via the OSD works great too.

On a side note, I tried using the ‘Flight Summary’ in the OSD menu. I get a ‘Flight Summary not Activated’ (or something lke that) message. I’ve enabled Flight Summary in the Modules tab in dRonin. Not sure if that/something else is needed to get the fligt summary display.

On another side note regarding RTH, I did a 6-point mag and compass calibration. My direction home arrow still isn’t indicating correctly. I’ll play with the mag sensor orientation to see if I can get working right. I’ve got it set by what it should be (bottom/270CW for BN-880). I need to activate the OSD heading direction and check if it’s indicated N/S/E/W properly or not.

And a third side note. Is Path Following required for RTH? I’ve only got VTOL Path activated right now. When I engage RTH the copter tilts and just flies sideways. I’m not sure if I’ve got everything set right to get RTH to work semi-properly (mag orientation, proper modules active, etc.)

billyd
    Participant

Path follower is for non vtol aircraft I think. The weird tilting and the failure to go home is a problem in the code I think. I can get rth to work about 1 out of 3 times or so, depending on my altitude and phase of the moon (lol).

I can’t understand why your home arrow doesn’t work. Make sure you verify n,s e and w are correct when looking at the live graphic in dronin. Board orientation has to be correct of course. Mine was completely different from the silk screen arrow on the compass board I purchased. I had the arrow pointing forward and face up and I had to set mine upside down and 90 degrees cw to get it to read properly.

Vantasstic
    Participant

Thanks, maybe it’s Path Planner that I’m thinking of. I thing there were three items to choose from, VTOL Follower, Path Follower, and Path Planner…I think, I think. Anyway, I only the VTOL one active. Not sure if I need anything else activated.

I don’t think my compass was showing N/S/E/W correctly in the dRonin GUI. I thought maybe I needed to test it via the OSD. If the GUI is supposed to show correctly then that’s probably my problem. I’ll have to try different mag sensor orientations to find the one that works. Do I need to recalibrate the mag sensor each time I change the mag sensor orientation? I’m hopeing I can just change and test, change and test, until I find what indicates correctly (and more quickly).

billyd
    Participant

Pretty sure you need path planner enabled. You should be able to just change the orientation without recalibration.

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 619 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.