Home Forums Everything about everything else dRonin for Tricopters! (TriRonin)

This topic contains 519 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  swissfreek 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 520 total)
  • Author

jihlein
    Participant

I suspect you may have an old firmware version, the F3Fc integrated board required a software update to fix an issue with the gyro initialization. From your description, it sounds like that’s the issue you are seeing. If you can flash, the USB cable is fine.

As I mentioned, the build in post #60635 fixes this issue.

krkljan
    Participant

Hi and Happy New Year to all Tricopter pilots!

I was wondering if there is schematic how to connect Kakute and Baby PDB? Or build log video how to build TRI without integrated FC. IMO would be helpful to newcomers.

At the moment I am testing integrated F3FC and results are very good and jihlein said that we’ll get GPS, BARO and MAG for telemetry purposes (Yes!!!!!).

One of my distant future plans is idea to upgrade Tri electronics to Kakute (wishing to get Smart Audio, OSD, and Nav modes) and I want to learn how to use all perks. Is there something like a list what Dronin and Kakute can do?

krkljan
    Participant

Regarding big and mini tri top plate – What about getting pre-drilled holes on them for top mounting PDB and FC?

Fosch
    Participant

Hi All and Happy New Year !

My special build is now completed 🙂

It flies very well…… except huge yaw twitching issues during fast motor acceleration.
    Please read the description below the video :

Any proposals please ?

(Sorry to post twice, but I’m sure that someone will read my initial post here :
    https://rcexplorer.se/forums/topic/tricopter-build-with-yaw-concept/ )

Updated the links in the first post to jihlein version from December 21st

Fosch
    Participant

Just a basic question…

I’m using DSHOT600.
    Input tab shows “Max 1793”. Does that mean that ESCs will receive a signal of 1793us maximum (i.e. not full power) or is it ‘converted’ to 2000us before being sent to the ESCs ?

Attachments:

Kevin_Erik

How dRonin handles the Min / Max PWM signals isn’t particularly clear. I’m assuming you’ve using the RC Wizard Setup? (As this can create some wonky values) Personally, I’ve always manually set the max PWM to 2000 and min to 1000. Then set up my minimum motor throtlle via bench testing. This ends up between 60 – 100 for minimum motor output for most copters. You could just use 1000 min, 2000 max and 100 min-throttle and be perfectly fine to fly.

Keep in mind that your modern ESC’s are capable of receiving PWM values higher than 2000. There’re some folks who use this presumably for the higher throttle resolution. How and why this is done is anybodies guess as i can’t see values over 2000 being safe to use without blowing the ESC. Then theres the issue of latency as longer PWM trains take longer to transmit. Increasing the Width of the pulse by just a few % may require that some custom protocal be used. Granted this is stuff I’ve read about but not taken an interest to simply because there’s no practical value to using it. The current system we have gives you signifigant throttle resolution, down to steps of 0.1%. Biggests real-world limitation is the RC controllers gimble resolution having only 200 – 300 steps of resolution.

jihlein
    Participant

You will get full power. The inputs are all normalized to +/-1. Then all the internal calculations are based off the normalized values. The last step is to “inflate” the normalized values using the min/max values specified in the outputs tab.

krkljan
    Participant

@jihlein

When can we expect merging of GPS and other features to Dronin for integrated F3FC?

jihlein
    Participant

“When can we expect merging of GPS and other features to Dronin for integrated F3FC?”

The first thing that needs to be decided is what features we want, as any additions to the STM32F3 boards are going to require some give and take with the current feature set from this point on. There’s just not enough memory or CPU cycles for much more (if any) growth.

It appears I can add baro, gps, ext mag, and enough of the nav routines to do return to home. It will not be able to support waypoints, and support for Graupner receivers (HSUM, HOT telemetry) and Crossfire receivers needs to be removed. I can run this on the bench, but can not flight test it. CPU load is running about 75 to 80 percent. Is this an acceptable compromise of feature/functions?

The other config I can fit leaves the Graupner and Crossfire features, but omits the nav routines.

So the question becomes what do the users want? I’m personally moving away from F3 boards so really can’t make a useful choice.

phasor
    Participant

I’m getting ready to build another babytri with the Kakute F4V2 board. Does Dronin support TBS smart audio? And does it have a way to configure the OSD on the flight controller?

Thanks, Phasor

jihlein
    Participant

I’m not too familiar with the smart audio interface, so the following may not be 100% correct….

I believe the answer is the only dRonin target boards that currently support the smart audio interface via OSD control are those with the graphical OSD, such as the BrainRE1 and Seppuku.

The character based OSD boards (those with the MAX7456 or equivalent chip) do not currently support smart audio.

It may be possible to use smart audio on these boards, but you would have to do the setup thru the GCS, not the OSD. I’d have to add the capability to select the smart audio setting to the uart function lists though.

When you say configure the OSD, if you mean control of what and where the various widgets are displayed, yes dRonin supports that for both graphical and character based OSDs.

phasor
    Participant

When you say configure the OSD, if you mean control of what and where the various widgets are displayed, yes dRonin supports that for both graphical and character based OSDs.

Sorry that I wasn’t more clear…how does one place want they want to be displayed on the OSD? Betaflight has it in the configurator so I was curious how Dronin does it. I’m still waiting on parts for the build…just doing research now.

For TBS smart audio I use a lua script on my taranis for configuring band, channel, and power settings on the VTX’s that are smart audio compliant.

Thanks for the quick response.

Jerry

krkljan
    Participant

I vote to have all sensors working + Crossfire. Nav modes not important. I will fly not so distant LR.

Kevin_Erik

@jihlein At this point I’d go so far as to say that the last FCF3 build did the trick. I was able to get the FCF3 to Motors to spin up correctly. Looks like the ESC’s were not sync’d or had somehow lost it after flashing dRonin. BlHeli-Suite quickly fixed the problem. This was a bench-test without a physical load so I am curious to how the Motors will behave in the Real World. Will attempt a Tailtune today (weather permitting) and post the results.

Kevin

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 520 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.