Home Forums Everything about the Mini Tricopter ESC heat and twitchy motors

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Oliver
    Participant

Hello,
    I recently purchased the mini tricopter with the recommended power setup and has finished the build and i am in the process of setting up the naze32 using cleanflight.
    The problem is that when i insert the flight battery the escs heat up like crazy and beep. When trying to calibrate the escs the motors simply twitch when using the motors tab.
    As mentioned i am running the recommended gear bought on the site and i have followed the build video
    I would very much like some help
    – Oliver

mjpilot
    Participant

Double check the solder connections on the ESC. particularly on the motor side. I don’t know if you have been following other posts, but lots of people are having problems with these ESCs.

Hope it’s just a bat solder joint.
    Mjpilot

Oliver
    Participant

Thanks for the response.
    That was my first thought as it would explain the behavior, but the thing is i tested the motor direction of each motor before installing them and the motors were able to run during that obviously. Another detail is when i first opened the motor tab and raised the slider the motors were able to run until the seized up.
    – Oliver

Oliver
    Participant

This is a picture of an esc that gets insanely hot and i dont see anything wrong with the soldering, i might be incorrect though.
    I am open to suggestions
    – Oliver

Attachments:
    LeoTheHuman
    Participant

These are definitely cold solder joints. If you heat up the pads properly, they will be completely covered with solder, including the corners. You need to tin both the wires and the pads before soldering these together.

Oliver
    Participant

Alright thanks a lot for the response.
    Haven’t had much soldering experience and picked up on that going through the build when i got the frame. I will redo the esc’s and see if that does it
    – Oliver

Oliver
    Participant

Well that didn’t fix it. The escs still get extremely hot even after just being connected for a few seconds. Could the esc(s) be faulty or do you think the problem lies somewhere else?
    – Oliver

lauka
    Participant

All ECSs are warming up? That’s weird. Have you connected the signal and signal ground to correct pins, you should not connect anything to the +5V (the middle pin in the FC pin row).

You could try:
    – measure the current that is going from battery when in idle. Good idea to build a SmokeStopper: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2327875
    – disconnecting the signal and signal ground wire from the FC and see if they are still warming up.

Oliver
    Participant

They servo wires are connected correctly, nothing is connected to the 5V output exept for the servo and the receiver of course and they work great so that is not the problem. I tried disconnecting the servo connector from the pin header and the two esc’s that heat up still do so. The other one doesnt get as hot. The weird thing is that i was able to test motor direction connected straight to the receiver before i wired the whole thing up. Then i was able to spin the motors in the tab in cleanflight for 15 seconds or so and then the twitching happened on all of the 3 motors. I only have a cheap multimeter capable of measuring 10A so im not sure if i should try and connect that seeing as it heats up so damn quick.
    Thanks for the help though so far, looking forward to the next response.
    – Oliver

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.