Home Forums Everything about the Tricopter V4 Flex legs for Tricopter No more tie wraps!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kevin_Erik 6 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

billyd
    Participant

I really enjoy these. No more broken tie wraps on hardish landings, yet plenty of flex to protect your tricopter!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3143026

• This topic was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  billyd.
    Attachments:

ME-tan
    Participant

Thanks! Already broke one but I suspect that this will work better in TPU instead of PLA.

billyd
    Participant

You’re welcome! Yes PLA is a terrible choice as it is too brittle. Best to use ABS or PETG. TPU might be too flexible!

Regards

ME-tan
    Participant

Yep I’m finding that. When the legs work they work really well, I have cracked them a couple of times though, always in the part the clips to the boom, not the springy legs themselves.

Printer is down for maintenance so will get some ABS and try it with that once its back up.

billyd
    Participant

If it’s cracking where it clips you can try the HD version which has thicker side walls. Also make sure when clipping it to the legs you don’t have to push it on super hard. If you do take a razor and reduce the height of the clips so it pops on easier. If you have to push really hard you can begin a crack that will break easily on landing.

Also you can try increasing your nozzle temperature to improve layer adhesion.

But if you are moving forward or backward when landing it puts alot of stress on the clips.

I am working on a different design where the clip and leg are two parts so they can be printed without the layer weakness of 3D printing impacting the design. I’ll post here in a week or so when I get the chance to finish it.

billyd
    Participant

I added the two piece design of the flex legs on thingiverse. See the link in the first post of this thread to find the files. The two piece design is MUCH better as it allows both the leg and the attaching clip to be printed in the best orientation, avoiding supports and avoiding the weakness of inter-layer bonding causing the clip to break on hard landings or even during install.

You can join the two pieces together with a 2mm screw through the mating hole provided in the parts or simply glue.

Kevin_Erik
    Participant

Extra Large Zip-Ties (5 mm wide +) have the same effect and are almost indestructible. I’ve been using them on my Bicopter and have found it works better than anything else I can make / buy. Best yet, they can be cut to the exact length needed. (See attached image)

Tricopter specific Example:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.