Home Forums Everything about the Mini Tricopter FPV transmitter for the mini

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    schlagbohrer
    Participant

Hey there,

and another question of choice. I’m playing around with buying the TBS 25mW 5,8Ghz Video Transmitter. Because it’s supposed to be fully legal in Europe and quite small.

But does it work together with the servo on the 5V rail? Has anybody experience with it? Do I get any noise on the video feed or something similar?

Best

Terje

Since you would have to power both your VTx and your board camera from the 5V rail, I would go with the Immersion 25mW 5.8GHz A/V Tx instead. Same legal output power, but runs on 4S and outputs clean 5v for the board camera.

The downsides:
    Bigger (but fits the mini nicely)
    Only 4 usable frequencies (the TBS has a few more.)

A 5v/2A BEC would on the other hand power both a GoPro and the TBS VTx and a 5v board camera (Most board cameras run on 12v though).

Long story short: You’ll need an extra 5v BEC to run the TBS 25mv VTx.

schlagbohrer
    Participant

Hey Terje,

thanks for your answer. But Does one VTx really consume so much power? I’ve to measure that one…

I don’t like the idea of adding an addtional BEC. I’m currently running one on my full size Tri to power the HK TS5823 VTx. It’s rated for 24V, but I fried one of them when I plugged in a 4S battery. And the BEC generates visible noise in the video feed. (which sucks).

I currently use the FR632 deversity receivery on my Quanum V2 goggles. I’d like to be able to use as much channels of it as possible, that’s why I did not consider the Immersion 25mW 5.8GHz A/V Tx up to this point (yes I know to much output power for Europe). But I like the idea to power the camera from the receiver. And considering the 12V power supply requirement I might have to look deeper into the receivers available.

May I ask which VTx/Camera you use on your mini(s)?

Best

schlagbohrer
    Participant

@David: Bug? I can’t edit my previous post… 🙁

The output power remarks was supposed to be at the HK TS5823 VTx… Stupid me. 🙁

Terje

So after breaking a few VTx’es the past week:

The ImmersionRC style VTx’es do fit, but limit the space for the lipo.

If it was legal in EU, I would use a 200mW ET200 transmitter. Light, small, cheap, has a 5v output and one button channel select. – Just add a circular polarized antenna of course 🙂

meborc
    Participant

It is legal, if you have a radio amateur license. Getting the license is actually not that hard and will allow you to operate all kinds of cool equipment.

LeoTheHuman
    Participant
    Terje

Dang, now you made me buy one… 😀

Looks like the same form factor as the ET200, so it should fit nicely into the mini frame.

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

It definitely does! (: I’ve received it a couple days ago.

schlagbohrer
    Participant

@LeoTheHuman nice Transmitter. May order mine soon. But can you confirm, that it does work with a 4S setup? My last transmitter does not do it, even though its rated for it.

And I’ll go for the recommended camera. Hope to get number 9 in the air soon. 🙂

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

I haven’t installed ET25 yet, but I can confirm ET200 does indeed work on 4S. These are almost the same. You might need an external LC filter though.

schlagbohrer
    Participant

That was quick! 🙂 Thanks for the info. I’ll order one for myself then.

Can you recommend a LC filter? Is the noise so bad?

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

I guess I just have too much time to spare now. (:
    The noise doesn’t feel too bad, actually, but I believe the filter helps a bit. I prefer my picture to be as clear as possible, especially if I only need to add a few grams for that onto a ~700g craft.
    I haven’t tested enough filters to recommend something, the only one I used was DIY and it helped tremendously on a DIY transmitter. This one definitely has some filtering in it already, but it was built with size in mind. Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231628817513 but rated for 25V might really help.

I would really like to know if someone finds the filter that is rated for 16.8V+. Links will help.

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

I might actually use pololu step-down to 12V and an LC filter after that for the cleanest power. (:

schlagbohrer
    Participant

@LeoTheHuman thanks for the input. Lets see, if I’m satisfied with the video image without step down. 🙂 But it’s a hobby so there is no end of building by definition. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.