Home Forums Everything about the Mini Tricopter FrSky compatible mini receiver?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    schlagbohrer
    Participant

Hey there,

I’m using a FrSky transmitter on my Turnigy9X radio. I’ve created an earlier thread on this topic. The converstion works marbelous.
    But the default receiver D8R-XP is waaay too big for the mini.

I’m considering to buy the D4R-II receiver and flashing it to CPPM for 8 channels.

But is this reciever small enough? Or does anybody have a better suggestion for a FrSky receiver for the mini?

Thank you for any hints. 🙂
    Best

Terje

The D4R-II is perfect for the mini. Most ship with the 27ms firmware I think. Once you bind it, you could remove the pins and solder the 3 wires directly to the receiver and short the ch3+4 pin pads to get a tiny package. I haven’t found it neccesary tough.

By the way, the naze32 frame outputs telemetry data (battery voltage) that the D4R-II can read and relay back to the telemetry enabled transmitter 🙂

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

I’ve removed all the pins and telemetry port connector from D4R-II, soldered wires directly to the receiver (+5v, gnd, ppm, telemetry) and hot-glued it right below the top naze32 plate of my full size V3 (processor to processor, actually), leaving the antennas to stick on both sides of the back boom, bending these as necessary. I’m still waiting for my VTx to arrive, but other than that there’s nothing on the top of the body, which makes it look great, proudly displaying RCExplorer logo! (:

schlagbohrer
    Participant

@Terje: Impressive reaction time at one o’clock in the morning. 🙂

Thanks for the responses. I’ll then go for the D4R-II. 🙂 Maybe I even go for the solution of @LeoTheHuman. I like the enclosed setting of receiver and FC. 🙂

Terje

Please note that if at all possible, the Rx and the VTx should be placed as far from each other to get the best range 🙂

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

As far as I know, you’re talking about RX antennas and VTX antenna, which is not the same as RX and VTX. (:

schlagbohrer
    Participant

Hey guys, thanks for the remarks. 🙂

@LeoTheHuman do you have a picture for your setup? If I understand you correctly, the RX antennas are coming out between the front and rear arms. Right? Not in front of the front arms.
    And your VTx is then just placed on top of the Naze32 frame?

@Terje: So I don’t need to flash the receiver for 8 channels and ppm, if it comes with the 27ms firmware? And telemetry is not yet supported with my Transmitter. Have to flash that one too. But thats a project for the winter, like to fly as much as possible until the weather gets bad again in northern Germany…

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

I’ll have my VTx antenna mounted on one of the front arms and the VTx itself will be strapped onto the main plate. Still waiting for that one to arrive.

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

On the mini I might let the D4R-II out in front of the front arms and put the VTx with its antenna directly above the back boom mounting holes.

shufty
    Participant

That’s how I’ve mounted my D4R-II (striped and heat shrank).

You wont need to flash the firmware, not sure why you would need 8 channels for on an acro naze anyway.

FPV gear will just sit on the front.

Don’t worry too much about having your vTx and Rx antennas near each other, the tri is so small it really wont make a difference (also if you’re using 2.4 and 5.8 they really don’t affect each other).

schlagbohrer
    Participant

Hey shufty,

thanks for the picture. 🙂 Lets see how I make up my mini. 🙂

I’ve picked somewhere up, that I need to flash the receiver. Can’t rememeber where… I’ll just give it a try out of the box, when it has arrived.

Best

shufty
    Participant

Yeah you should be fine with it out of the box, at most you’ll only need 5-6 channels anyway.

Kevin
    Participant

ReadyMadeRC.com makes a nice little mount for the the D4R and X4R that fits under a 36mm FC like the Naze32.
    http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=344_346_359&products_id=3569

meborc
    Participant

I too ordered a D4R-II to go with my mini tri. Then I ran into this – http://www.rchacker.com/diy/frsky-d4r-ii-ppm-frame-problem-and-flashing-instructions

The info presented in the video is 2 years old and I really don’t understand if it would actually affect me, but thought I would post it here and ask for your opinion.

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

You can check if the firmware was updated already for you by the manufacturer or a seller. Plug it into the board, open CF configurator and turn all the channels to the max value. If they all show around 2000, it is fixed, if something snaps back to the low values, you have a problem.
    2 options to fix:
    1. reflash with new firmware
    2. only use lower half the range for aux4 and may be aux3 (by programming the transmitter end points), or don’t use these at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.