Home Forums Everything about everything else Hot motors! Recommendations?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anthony
    Participant

Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a good motor for the v4.0 between 900-1000KV I’m looking for extended flight duration.

Current setup:
    v4.0 with minicomputer chassis added
    3 x 4.5 x 9 props
    4000 4s 10C
    BL Heli 30A ESCs

Currently using EMAX MOTOR MT2213-920KV – all motors getting very hot just in initial hover and tail tuning. Props are balanced and all sound fine and smooth…just really hot after what doesn’t seem like a whole lot of work. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Chris7485
    Participant

Hi Anthony,

your EMAX motors should be fine with your setup. Before running off and buying new motors I would test some other props first. Maybe using 2 bladed props 9×4.5 would do.
    I’m using Sunnysky X2212 980 kV motors with 30A Afro ESCs on my XuGong V2 quad with 1666g. They are not rated for 4S but work just fine. After 20 min flight you can still touch them and I’m running 10×4.5 props on 4S 5200mAh 10C.

If you want a really good and approved setup, go ahead and buy Davids BE2217 1300kV motors with 8″ props 😉

Anthony
    Participant

Hi Chris,

I know that setup with David’s 1300s and 8″ props is a good one, and pretty quick as well, but probably too quick for me given my skills as a pilot (or lack thereof). I’m trying to stay toward a bigger prop with lower kV motors to keep the flight duration up either using 2×4.5×10 or 3×4.5×9.

We’ve been buying these EMAXs at the local hobby shop because my son and I started with a v1 kk2 setup on 9″ props which we still have…we’ve crashed it so much it was nice to have a local supply of motors (the EMAXs never even get warm on that setup).

Chris7485
    Participant

Hi Anthony,

there is one more thing you could check. If you’ve run this motors on a different setup with nearly same conditions and you just updated your frame without to much weight gain, maybe you should check the length of the screws holding the motors. Maybe they are a tiny bit to long an touch the wiring inside the motors. lot of people have this problem with the Emax RS2205 motors.
    By touching the copper wires you increase the resistance and therefor the motors get really hot but are still working.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about everything else’ is closed to new topics and replies.