Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Marlon
    Participant

Hi,

After waiting for the arrival on my digital soldering iron. I started a finished my build like a surgeon last night. The iron fits your hand like a scalpel, it is really that small. Packs a punch and it has a thermometer on the tip (could confirm that when calibrating) Desoldering the Old F1 wires at 320 no problem. Flashing was a dream, put the CLI settings for the old DYS ECS and motors. No smoke everything working motors spinning in the right direction. Gonna start today with the dreaded GPS hookup.

A few questions arise dough:
    1. Whit the latest firmware: Do I still need tho specify the servo feed back to EXT1 in CLI settings?
    2. Why does the motors not spin when armed? (I checked the settings in the setup and it is ok)
    3. By bridging the 6V tab does this mean I cannot use on board BEC for LED, SONAR GPS etc.
    4. The UART voltage selection on the board… Does it involve moving the SMD diode to another tab?

Thanks.

swissfreek
    Participant

1. No, it is preset. At least it was for me. I didn’t mess with feedback on the F1 board, but with the F3FC, I soldered it up, flashed the latest firmware, and ran tailtune on the bench, and it did the speed test thing, without changing any other settings.

2. If MOTOR_STOP isn’t enabled, then I would suggest running a motor calibration. The only time I have seen mine not spin when armed is when I upgraded from BLHeli 14.3/14.4/14.5 to 14.6. On every multirotor that I’ve taken to BLHeli 14.6 (which is now all of them), upgrading to 14.6 caused the min throttle to be low enough not to spin the motors without running a new motor calibration. It’s something you want to do no matter what, I’m just saying that I did notice that behavior on mine.

3. I would say that depends on the input voltage limits of what you are running. I find that many components say they are 5v, but when you read the specs, they will accept something like 4-6 or 3.5-7 or something like that. Rarely does it have to be *exactly* 5v (since that’s pretty difficult to provide when you consider voltage drop as batteries run down, different nominal voltage of different battery chemistries, etc.). So check the specs of your components to be sure.

4. The way I understand it, *if* you are running something other than 5v from the switching BEC (it sounds like you are running 6v), then you can move one of the diodes closer to the header pins (see diagram in product page) in order to activate a small linear BEC that provide 5v to the UART pins instead of the 6v or 8v that the switching BEC is supplying. This way you could still run 6v or 8v to your servo and get faster tail response, but if like I said in question 3, you have some device on the UART pins that is sensitive to voltage and can *only* take 5v, then you can still give it that nice 5v power. There is *another* diode in that same area that will also provide 3.3v only to UART1, which is useful if you have 3.3v equipment to connect there (if this is enabled, the other UART pins will output either what the switching BEC outputs, or 5v depending on the first diode setting). Mainly this is designed for those running Spektrum satellite type receivers, since they run on 3.3v and will not even take 5v (and that includes the new Race Receiver that is basically a satellite module with longer antennae and auto-bind built in).

Marlon
    Participant

It works!

Got the GPS showing in the upper tab on UART 3. Got one issue… the GPS (MiniAP GPS) has a build in compass. But the module is running on 5v. I’m afraid to hook the SDA SCL on the new board. On the old boards it is stated to never connect 5v modules on the SDA SCL. Or I have to try running the GPS on 3.3v maybe 5v is it’s maximum voltage?

On the motors yes I’m running 14.6 with motor stop disabled in Cleanflight, I haven’t calibrated the motors yet. I was too tired and happy yesterday after finishing my build.

Trying the MiniAp GPS on 3.3v later. Tomorrow Sonar hookup.

Thanks for the detailed response @swissfreek

Marlon
    Participant

Works works works,

I’ve connected the MiniAp GPS on 3.3v and connected the SDA and SCL. I can see the Mag icon lit green. GPS cannot get a 3D Fix cause I’m indoors (writing this I got a Fix). But I confirmed the Lat and Long. Moving the unit by hand showed what erratic tail moment in the setup. Dunno if that has to do with interference whit the onboard Mag. In order to get the RSSI showing in the MinimOSD, do I connect the RSSI wire from my Delta 8 on RX on UART 1 or 2? Happy with results today. Tomorrow Sonar MinimOSD

swissfreek
    Participant

I’ve never messed with OSDs other than built-in ones (BrainFPV and CorePro) and I’ve never messed with RSSI either so I’m afraid I’m not of much use there. Sorry. Sounds like you made some good progress today. Would love to see everything you’ve got mounted on there. Looks impressive.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.