Home Forums Everything about everything else I'm glad I got because…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Terje

in order to do this, I have to do it myself!
    (And it did not set me back $3000, and I can repair it myself…)

coolblaze19
    Participant

I really…

really…

just can’t…

Please just tell me that wasn’t yours…

Terje

No was not mine. Made me smile a little though, switched from DJI Phantom 2 Vision to RCExplorer Tricopter because in order to do what the $3000 Inspire did on its own, I would have to do it myself.

The title was supposed to read “I’m glad I got the RCExplorer because” Somehow I missed “the RCExplorer” ๐Ÿ™

coolblaze19
    Participant

that video makes me want to cry on so many different levels how bad was the damage?

coolblaze19
    Participant

oh wait misread thought you said no it was mine disregard the damage part.

Robert C
    Participant

I really despise quads like the Phantom. Not the craft I should add, but some people that fly it. It is just way to accessible. I went flying with a friend, he has a Phantom, but he did absolutely have no idea what he was doing and literally said: ‘No it cant go wrong it has gps and auto land etc’. He Crashed on take off because his props were damaged.

Everytime a quad gets in the news, its a Phantom. Why? because ‘nothing can go wrong’ and flying above houses and people seems like the only thing they can do.

Sorry for this rant, but I am very afraid that things like these are killing the hobby, video’s like these just go viral, and to be fair, this was bloody dangerous. Imagine it hit the woman in the face! Horrible.

Again, I hope I didn’t upset anyone.

coolblaze19
    Participant

oh i completely agree with you a tricopter like Davids requires quite a bit of knowledge to put together and mainly prior experience. It also makes you be a lot more careful if you don’t have gps lock and other things on your, i think that everyone should not have any assists on there first multirotor yeah it may cause you to crash but that’s why you get a cheap micro quad to start out.

Along the lines of the phantom i believe you should have to have that card thing you need to fly at events to purchase it kinda proves you have some experience.

Terje

There are multiple aspects to consider: when you just buy a multicopter or any remote controlled aircraft for that matter, you don’t know how it works because you didn’t build it. Also you are less likely to familiarize yourself with the rules that apply to flying a remote controlled aircraft. You automatically assume it is safe because every toy you buy these days is supposed to be safe and people regard remote controlled aircraft as toys?

Chris7485
    Participant

Oh man, that video made me laugh hard.
    I imagined walking into the bank, getting 1000โ‚ฌ and throw them against the next wall…

Iยดm glad I got the RCExplorer Tricopter because I learned and grew a lot into the hobby. Had a lot of experience with planes and scratch building but multirotors like the Tricopter was a complete different experience.
    I made all my tricopter frames by myself starting with plywood and rebuilding it several times after crashes, then printed the next one on my 3D Printer (bad idea because of really bad vibrations).
    Crashing your Tricopter V2 the first time because of not being skilled enough makes you shiver, but I never thought the same as this guy in the video: Damn I just crashed 3000 โ‚ฌ.
    I just picked up all the pieces and worked one night and the next day my tricopter was back in the air!
    Thank you David for all the good memories and the free plans! I really love that Tricopter.

PS: to all newbies out there, get yourself a small quadcopter like the hubson X4, learn how to fly and control that quad, then goto http://www.en05-phx.stablehost.com and buy a Tricopter V3 frame kit and join the community!

Terje

I just realized it has only been 1 1/2 years since I reentered the hobby after 25 years break ๐Ÿ™‚ Learning with the… Hubsan X4 – soon attaching a 808#16 camera and getting a wopping 3 minutes flight time! Anyone up for some jello? ๐Ÿ˜‰

donnyb
    Participant

Murphy’s Law. lol! Did anyone notice the real estate sign? Slight dent in the garage door -$500 dollar’s. I think there is a assumption that all the sophisticated electronics would prevent that. lol. I think the inspire is neat but drastically overpriced and dangerous in the wrong hands.

Terje

Just pressing a button on your iPad “Auto launch” and not being ready to intervene might be the #1 reason this happened. The fact that the craft does things on its very own without the operator being able to intervene at any given time is what I dislike most about the DJI line (I do own a Phantom 2 Vision).

The failsafe setting on my Tricopter is: If signal loss -> power down! I’d rather have the tricopter drop from the sky where it is, than having it fly into a flock of kids at a kindergarten 5km down the road…

2ma
    Participant

This video made me laugh so much ! It is the kind of guy : I have enough money to buy this so everything will be alright… I completly agree with Terje. I started with Hubsan h170d, got it for my birstday in july and 3 months later I made the V2.5 tricopter ๐Ÿ™‚ You learn so much from building your own tricopter ! You’re able to detect and fix problem. Also if you have a little a big crash, you can fix it and fly the day after !

Terje, is failsafe a mode when your controller does not reach your multirotor anymore ? Is it possible to make it come back home until it reaches controller signal ?

Terje

Hi 2ma, yes failsafe mode is what the receiver does when it does not get a signal from the transmitter. You can test what your receiver does by (REMOVING THE PROPELLERS!) then power on your aircraft and spin the motors. Then turn off the transmitter. If the motors continue to spin, that is what it is going to do in the air too. Which scenario is more likely: The aircraft losing signal when heading towards the transmitter or losing signal heading away from the transmitter? That is why mine is set to just shut off.

And yes you can equip your aircraft with a GPS “thing” (depending on model and make of the flight controller, KK2 boards don’t support it) and set it up to return to home. This is what the Phantom 2 /Inspire and the like do. Problem is, they don’t always know where home is. So they will fly to where they think home is. That could be where you took off from – but it could also be where you last had GPS lock. Outside forces can influence on the GPS signal: Power lines, metal structures, your cellphone and even solar flares/storms (they are more common than you’d think).

2ma
    Participant

Ok thank you Terje ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll test it when I’ll be home ๐Ÿ™‚ Also is it possible with the KK2 to set fail safe ? I’d like to set “go down very slowly” ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about everything else’ is closed to new topics and replies.