Home Forums Everything about everything else Import duties/tax when shipping to US

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  sscott 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

sscott
    Participant

Hi

A question for anybody who has ordered a tricopter from David and had it shipped to the US. Did you have to pay import duties or taxes when the tricopter arrived in the US?

If so, did you ship the order insured or uninsured?

Just want to make sure that I don’t get hit with a hefty import duty after ordering my new mini tri 😉

swissfreek
    Participant

I’ve shipped multiple packages both ways (with and without insurance). These days I typically go with uninsured since it’s cheaper. Never had any tax or anything (not sure how they’d collect anyway). I *have* had one package (complete Tricopter V3 kit about a year ago) hang out an awfully long time in the Chicago ISC. I mean this thing took almost a month to get to me. At one point I emailed David and he was prepared to send me a whole new kit on his dime, and of course the day after I emailed him it started moving again and eventually got to me. I wouldn’t freak out over it though, this was one time (the very first time, in fact) of many, many (well, 12, but that’s 12 shipments in 12 months!) orders I’ve placed with David ranging from ~$30 to $300+, and other than that one time, I usually get my delivery within a week.

sscott
    Participant

Thanks Frank for the info, just placed my order for a new mini Tri kit 🙂

The reason I asked is that I have had to pay import tax in the past when buying commercial goods and having them shipped to a business address. USPS usually makes you pay the tax when you pick up the package at the post office, while UPS or FedEx usually makes you pay via their website before they’ll deliver the package. So I was just wondering if the same applied to buying from David and getting it shipped to a residential address. But I guess not, so yay!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.