Home Forums Everything about everything else iNav for KakuteF4V2 based Tricopters

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    PeterPankras
    Participant

Did a short testflight today as we finally had 1 day without rain.
    Still wet everywhere so scared to crash it somewhere.

I turned off triflight for the first flight.

First hover went ok, had the yaw inverted so fixed that.. probably forgot to switch it when I went over to crossfire.

It react pretty good with the betaflight settings posted here.

Flew only in acro mode both in hover and later a short fpv flight.

Tried angle mode, and still somehow cannot input pitch and roll when it is in angle mode.
    Maybe this has something to do with somesort of wing setting? It does not behave the way I expect.
    Did not try nav position hold yet.

Got a stable 12+ sattelites.

Returned home with the Tri in 1 piece 😀

Enabled Triflight in the CLI now, so that will be the next test.

billyd
    Participant

I switched from Davids pdb to a matek fchub-6s on my LR and that fixed the video issues I was having. Finally! I am using the 10v filtered output to power all the video components. And the 5v is used to power the crossfire receiver and gps. I had to add a dimension engineering 25w adjustable vr to power the tail (This VR’s input side is connected to the 4th unused motor pads), since the matek doesn’t have a 6v power output available. But a small price to pay for perfect video. That was all I needed btw. No caps and no LC filter either.

Now back to tuning for INAV (Still not happy with my current tune) and then on to triflight tuning.

billyd
    Participant

I can’t get triflight to work well. I had it flying ok, not good just ok, in INAV, but I simply couldn’t get it any better. Then I enabled triflight and did the desktop and airborne tail tunes. But now the tail is weak in yaw, but hunts when I take off for the first few seconds. So do I go back and start messing with the pids again? Tail boost started at 90 and I increased it to 100. It seems as though there are too many moving parts for me to handle. I’m wondering if it’s even possible to tune this.

jihlein
    Participant

Slowly keep increasing the yaw boost and see if that helps. The default value for the yaw boost used to be 240, but that proved to be to high for most cases, so I significantly decreased the default value. At 240, the tail would oscillate violently at low throttle settings, settling down once you got to hover throttle.

There’s a lot of stuff in triflight to twiddle with, I don’t think most people have ever messed with it.

If the above doesn’t work, I think it’s time to give up on the triflight 0.7 version, and go back to the 0.5 version with the mods I made for dRonin. Additionally, I don’t really think triflight is necessary for the Tri LR, given it’s intended use.

The Tri LR is an interesting frame. I’ve never got it to behave as nicely as the Tri V4, Mini Tri, or Baby Tri. It just has a different feel to it that’s hard to describe. I’ve not given up on it yet though. I will say that removing the stock tail mechanism and replacing it with the Impossible Tilt for the Baby Tri made a big difference, and that will be my baseline Tri LR hardware for testing once the weather improves…..

BLeeK
    Participant

@jihlein- you say the LR doesn’t “behave as nicely” as the earlier models, could this be from the thinner arms?
    I remember reading here & seeing a couple of clips on YT of other LR Tri’s suffering from bad vibrations which seemed to be fixed/reduced by doubling arm thickness & going to 7inch tri-blade props rather than 8×2’s & it did seem to clean up the onboard footage…
    Im yet to finish my LR Tri but am heading down this same path having ordered spare arms & used E6000, a rubbery glue, between the arms.
    Hoping to get this finished soon enough that I can help in bug reporting the current software(s).
    Currently waiting an a Matek F405Wing All-in-one FC & some Speedix LS40 ‘Slim’ ESC’s to go with the 2407 motors I already have…

Meanwhile, tri-ing to work out how to use Fushion360 so I can edit the Baby Tri as Ive had an idea about inverting the tail by extending the top-plate to form the tail- but thats a subject for elsewhere…

So, the question was, before I got sidetracked, could it be the thin arms causing troubles with flight characteristics when compared to earlier Tri’s?

jihlein
    Participant

” could this be from the thinner arms?”
    I don’t know. The LR just doesn’t feel as nimble as the others. I wonder if it’s the light overall weight coupled to the large disc area of the 8″ props (larger gyroscopic forces wrt to overall weight?). On my to do list is try it with 5″ or 6″ props. Even my V4 feels more nimble, but it’s considerably heavier, and has 10″ props. Will be curious as to your experiences with the doubled up arms.

” Ive had an idea about inverting the tail by extending the top-plate to form the tail”
    Sounds really cool, keep us up to date!

PeterPankras
    Participant

No, that thinner arm story is bs. I’m flying 8 inch and have no vibration at all. Just balance your props right or get decent props. Check my dRonin test video. No vibration just slight tail osscilation from unfinished tune.

I tried the current iNav build with triflight enabled. Only hovered and some punch outs. The angle mode just doesn’t work, it seems to ignore roll and pitch input in angle mode.

Gps position hold and altitude hold works like a charm. Kept it’s position and altitude without touching the sticks.

The tail did jump clockwise 10 degrees sometimes but again I have to fly it and play with some of the settings.

billyd
    Participant

@jihlein I had the triLR tuned well in Dronin (.5) so I personally think that is the way to go. I have never had any luck with .7 and INAV

As far as the tail hunting at initial take off you hit the nail on the head. To get a locked in tail, it seems like we would have to live with severe hunting before settling down. If you avoid that initial severe hunting with lower gains or boost, the tail is floaty in flight in all other aspects. It seems as though there needs to be a reduction in gain for the first 15 seconds after liftoff. I don’t know if it’s a possible or even a reasonable approach. I don’t think it is though. I think that severe hunting may be a tell of a fatal flaw in .7’s algos.

@PeterPankras I agree 100%. If you have balanced motors and props there is no vibration. I think others had imbalances most likely in the cans of their motors (since I’m assuming they know how to balance a prop). Balancing motors is difficult in comparison, and usually not necessary. Fortunately for me my motors didn’t need it and my triLR is very quiet in flight. Never saw or heard a vibration (other than my crappy tunes in INAV lol).

jihlein
    Participant

@billyd, I agree with your assessment of 0p7. I’ll work on getting 0p5 into iNav.

Regarding the angle mode issues in iNav, I found this:

https://github.com/iNavFlight/inav/issues/4222

so it appears to be a know issue with the default settings.

billyd
    Participant

@jihlein as always your efforts are really appreciated. I will put the triLR back on the shelf until I hear from you.

Happy New Year everybody!

flightmansam
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I have been living vicariously through this forum with my own Kakute F4V2 TricopterLR build. I have built and flashed @jihlein ‘s iNav 2.3 + triflight .7 branch and can attest to the same tail wag and yaw “sloshiness instead of swooshiness” as mentioned above. I just wanted to say thanks for your time and energy into this project and to let you know that others around the world really love this project and have a lot of interest – a mate of mine is also doing this exact project with me, although I am yet to get him off dronin heheh.

Cheers and can’t wait to see what comes next!

Sam (ala flightmansam)

Canberra, Australia (the home of QGoundControl!)

Attachments:
    PeterPankras
    Participant

Hey Sam,

Good to see more people testing 😉

Regarding the angle mode issue. I indeed see posts that increasing
    set max_angle_inclination_rll = 400
    set max_angle_inclination_pit = 400

to something like 600-700 should do the trick.

I don’t really use Angle mode, but for the first tuning flight i always have some sort of angle mode handy if it works so have some more time to flick switches.

Usually the first hovers in acro mode are always a little sketchy 😉

Still no flying weather here.. sucks big time.

billyd
    Participant

Well the curse continues with this tricopter. I just burned out the servo. I didn’t have another 210dmh on hand so I used a 22hv (same form factor) but it’s a faster servo and 7.4v. But I think I’ll leave my regulator at 6v anyway because that will slow it down some. The higher speed will probably cause more problems. I suppose I can try it at 8v and see the effect but first I’ll see how it does at 6v.

Not sure why the servo got toasted. Perhaps the pids were too aggressive in an effort to lock the tail. I don’t know. I double checked and my adjustable 25watt regulator is still putting out 6v under load. I also have a big cap on the main so I don’t think it was a spike. Perhaps 330hz is too much for this servo after all?

PeterPankras
    Participant

Did you have Triflight enabled?
    If so what was your yaw_boost value?

I noticed with Triflight enabled and the yaw boost set to 100 (I believe that is the default value) , it is pretty aggressive with the servo correction movements on my Tri.

billyd
    Participant

Yes I had it enabled. Boost was 110 when it died.

Good news though. Going with the 22hv and using my version of the impossible tilt (see tricopterLR forum here for more info) has had a huge impact on the tail performance. I disabled triflight when I put on the new tail design and servo, and now the tricopter is perfoming really well in yaw under INAV. So it’s possible my old servo and the mount were the cause of the performance issues.

I strongly recommend you use the impossible tilt (original or my version) it seems to be really important for tail performance. I may try my tail servo at 7.4v and see if it gets even better. Currently running it at 6v but it’s an 8v servo. I also modded it for feedback but not using triflight with it yet. I am waiting for jihlein to mod the code for v.5 triflight since v.7 has shown to be problematic with INAV.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 171 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about everything else’ is closed to new topics and replies.