Home Forums Everything about the Mini Tricopter Interested in Father / Son project

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Kevin_Erik

During the last few months, “we” (myself and son: Erik 6yr) I have been experimenting with several mini drones.

Parrot Mambo:
    https://www.parrot.com/de/minidrones/parrot-mambo
    Tobyrich Moskito Drone:
    http://www.tobyrich.com/de/products/moskito/

Note: Erik can fly the Mambo but can’t get the hang of the Moskito’s iPhone app.

Obviously they’re both great little drones for limited outdoor excursions and make a for a great drone introduction for Erik. However, I’m wanting something more and after quite a bit of reading, over the last two months, I’ve settled on the mini-tricopter.

That being said, before I dive into a project such as this, I was wondering if there was any OBTW advice and maybe a list of everything we may need for FPV flight?

Note: I’ve 20 years in microelectronics and own a soldering station.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin / Erik

LitterBug
    Participant

My OBTW advice would be, this stuff is HIGHLY addictive. I would start with the Kit and recommended Electronics from https://rcexplorer.se/product-category/mini/ and then add FPV to it after you have it up and flying. At a minimum, you will need a camera, VTX, and set of goggles for FPV. You may want to invest in a ground station display so you can take “passengers” along as well.

Cheers!
    LitterBug

Kevin_Erik

I keep getting a duplicate post error but I don’t see the post I just submitted!?!

Apparently it’s just gone now.

Kevin_Erik

Saw this camera and was like wow… however its 32 grams
    https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/nerdcam3d-mk-2/

Kevin_Erik

Beyond the Mini kit I’ve the following on order:

-Turnigy nano-tech 1800mah 4S 35~70C Lipo Pack (2)
    -SKYRC iMAX B6 Mini Profi Balance Charger
    -1-8S Lipo LiMn Battery Tester Low Voltage Buzzer Alarm
    -Liqui Moly 3803 Screw Lock – Heavy 10 g
    -Heatgun

Still need to research and purchase the following:
    -FPV Camera and TX (5.8Ghz)
    -FPV Goggles /w RX (5.8Ghz)
    Receiver (Tricopter RX 2.4GHz)
    Controller (TX 2.4GHz)

Anyone know if I missed anything ?

Kevin

biggestRCEfan
    Participant

Considering the dad/son nature of the enterprise I would recommend (as did litterbug) a monitor with receiver so that the non-flying pilot also sees what is going on. Otherwise non-flying pilot may wander off while flying pilot is trying to keep things under control and out of the trees 🙂

Kevin_Erik

Ordered today:

-FrSky Taranis X9D Plus + Empfänger X8R + Alu Case
    -Andoer RC CellMeter-7
    -ZCGC-EN Frsky Receiver Receiver XM Plus Mini Full Range Receiver Failsafe D16 Mode Support SBUS Up to 16CH Compatible with Frsky X9D / X9D Plus X9E X12S Transmitter Transmitter

Still need more information on a suitable FPV camera / Tx and Goggles. So far there are to many choices and not enough information between it all to truly make an informed decision.

biggestRCEfan
    Participant

The mini is designed to take a board camera, but they are not that readily available/popular any more. David has a recommended security camera 2000 model on the build page, but you could easily adapt the frame to take the mounting bracket of the hs1177 camera. I use the FT48X vtx. It is compact and has a mic if you want to listen to motor/prop responses while maneouvering. I use skyzone diversity goggles, but there are so many to choose from!

biggestRCEfan
    Participant

The HS1177 can be powered off the FT48X and the FT48X directly of vbat.

Kevin_Erik

Ordered:

– Foxeer Switcher TM25 transmitter 5,8GHz 25mW (200/600), Is switchable between 25/200/600mw.
    – CamOneTec FCHD78 FPV monitor / DVR.
    – MINI 5-22V 12gr 25x25mm HS1177 XAT600M FPV Camera, Orange
    – FOXEER Antenna 5,8G LHCP RPSMA, Black
    – Fatshark ATTITUDE V3

One thing I’ve learned about all this, is that its an investment. Either you get what you need and what you can grow into or don’t bother. Otherwise, your apt to buy replacements as your needs evolve.

biggestRCEfan
    Participant

Kevin, sure it is an investment. It is good to know what other people did so you could reduce the risk of buying the wrong stuff. Looking good your shopping list!

I note your antenna is RP-SMA. Just check what the connector on the VTX is, as it should be same. Otherwise you will have to change antenna or get a SMA <-> RP-SMA converter. This is a trap, easy to walk into. I just realised the order from Hobbyking I’m waiting for I accidentally ordered RP-SMA while I wanted SMA … This was for 90 deg angle connectors.

Have fun!

Kevin_Erik

Thanks bigRC!

As for the VTX, its RP-SMA.

BTW, have you or anyone else for that matter have experience with Ducts?
    http://www.fliteclub.com.au/product/mini-prop-duct-set-of-4/

LitterBug
    Participant

Ducts work good on slow, small, light, “indoor flyers” but end up being more of a nuisance on larger faster builds. If you have a 3D printer, you could probably make modifications to any number of designs found on Thingiverse to suit your needs.

Cheers!
    LitterBUg

Kevin_Erik

Apparently the Fatshark ATTITUDE V3, did not come with the VTX. (why the F?)
    Will have to send it back and get the anniversary edition instead, which comes with the VTX.

Why the FPV set is sold without the VTX just smacks of venders trying to milk their customer base rather than ship out a completed product. Hard to imagine any other reason why the hell this would be an acceptable business practice.

Vendor: SMDV
    eMail: [email protected]
    Internet: http://www.smdv.de

Kevin_Erik

Returning the FAtsharks to DHL tomorrow and have canceled the “Foxeer Switcher TM25 transmitter” as it’s said to be 2-3 weeks before they can even ship it.

Ordered:

-SKYZONE FPV GOGGLES 5.8GHZ DUAL DIVERSITY 32CH RECEIVER WITH HEAD-TRACKER (V2)
    -QUANUM FPV HEADSET BATTERY 7.4V 1500MAH 3C
    -QUANUM ELITE QE58-6 5.8GHZ SELECTABLE 25MW – 600MW WIRELESS AV TRANSMITTER
    -DIATONE TYRANT 5.8GHZ FPV 3 LEAF AV CIRCULAR POLARISED ANTENNA RHCP SMA

Hope that the replacement transmitter (SMA Female) will be compatible with the Antenna (SMA MALE) as its listed on the hobbieking.com website as “RHCP SMA”

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/diatone-65mm-5-8ghz-fpv-4-leaf-av-transmission.html

Note: Sending the Fatsharks back, saves me 200 Euro even after all the other purchases.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.