Home Forums Everything about the Bicopter Micro Bi-Copter

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kevin_Erik 21 hours, 20 minutes ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Piotr Szalczynski
    Participant

I think I might build one of the lightest setup in Bi-copter drone family. The copter without battery weights only 105 grams. I will develop it further with ArduPilot code and additional sensors like Lidar and Flow control. Here is the video of one of the flights where I wanted to see what is the biggest battery that it can carry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WlvRYLKgRQ If anyone got questions or suggestions feel free to reply under this topic.

Kevin_Erik
    Participant

Looks really good!

I really like the idea of making a micro drone as it’s less prone to damage during a crash and can fly indoors.
    Just curious how it handles Oscillation during backwards flight as Bicopters are known to have this problem?

Piotr Szalczynski
    Participant

Forward or backward flight is smooth without any problems. Only in hover he got a little servo shake but I quess its cause of its really small inertia that he can not stay quietly in one place qnd everything makes him goes out of balance but it is not that much a problem. You can watch Youtube video and see by yourself that while moving he goes smoothly.

Kevin_Erik
    Participant

Yeah i saw the video. However the flight was pretty much just hovering around a lab space. That oversized battery does give the copter added stability. Using a smaller battery you’d see more oscillations and instability.

What I’m talking about requires some speed. Bicopters often have issues turning sharpy while in forward flight. (Nose drops causing the copter to flip) Or oscillate wildly in reverse flight past a certain speed as it runs through its own turbulance.

Look at Davids, Bicopter video for details.

Piotr Szalczynski
    Participant

I dont have such problem. I didnt go very fast since I only flew in hangar but from what I saw so far the faster it goes more stable it becomes.

Kevin_Erik
    Participant

Video or it didnt happen.

Piotr Szalczynski
    Participant

https://youtu.be/la9zBPI3nV4 Here it is. By the sound it can be heard that oscilations are getting much lower as he gain speed.

Piotr Szalczynski
    Participant

https://youtu.be/UhhceKiv_i0 Current balance. Still need some cosmetic PID change.

Kevin_Erik
    Participant

The last video looked really good. I’m sure those ducts helped a bit with stability too.

Piotr Szalczynski
    Participant

I am actualy going to do some whooping with it with FPV camera. Maybe its gonna to be actually the first bi-whoop. (With small 3S battery I can go to 150-160 gram totally so not rly a tuny whoop but kinda still a whoop 😀

Kevin_Erik
    Participant

You had previously mentioned Lidar and flow-control, have these been added? What specific advantage would either bring to such a small copter?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.