Home Forums Everything about the Mini Tricopter Mini Tricopter OSD?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone! I’m thinking of putting an OSD on my Mini Tricopter. Has anyone tried this? Which OSD would work best? I’m thinking of the OSDoge, but there are a couple of things I have mixed feelings about: will it fit inside the cage? And does the integrated Naze32 tricopter frame have provisions for the addition of this OSD?

Thanks!

phlakvest
    Participant

The pins on the OSDoge are designed to fit directly on the top of a standard Naze32 board. All the pins exist on the integrated Naze32, so I’m pretty sure it can be made to work, but it’s not a direct fit. You would have to track down all the pins and solder jumper wires between the two.

I would recommend getting a micro minimumOSD instead. You still have to do some custom wiring, but you have a much smaller board to deal with. It’s only supposed to pull around 100mw, but some people have reported issues running it off the 5v regulator on the built in PDB.

I am using a video transmitter with a regulated 5V out which I’m using to power my camera and minimumOSD. The only wires that connect from the OSD to the Naze are the Serial TX and RX.

Marlon
    Participant

Hi,

I’m planning a OSD setup too for my Mini Tricopter build, have lost many days and night researching a failed attempt for a GPS hold on the Mini. Finally got help from @Rustypaint and_milchmann and learned that the that the on board naze32 has no compass or baro (this was told to me by David earlier). So I decided to have the OSD en GPS for overlay info only.

Back to you question (sorry) I find the OSDoge too big and it involves too much soldering on the naze32 board it self, than on the outsides of the board. I went micro minimumOSD, lighter and smaller. I will be feeding GPS input on the RX an TX rather than from the naze32 (no compass or baro remember?)

Thanks.

Thanks for the advice! Another (really bulky) option is the ImmersionRC EZOSD, which has built-in GPS navigation. Might be something to consider for you, Marlon, if you want GPS. I’ll look into the Minim MicroOSD. Thanks again!

Perhaps this would be an interesting thing to integrate into the new V2 tricopter frame?

Marlon
    Participant

Hi,

Yes I already ordered the Micro MinimOSD, after deciding between the Tarot OSD Image Overlay System With GPS TL300L. But the Tarot lack of modding support, had me making the right decision. The image below is what i’m aiming for. If I can’t have stability I might as well have a hell of HUD for my FPV. The MinimOSD is programmed thru Arduino, this means endless modding possibilities.

Attachments:
    Wilhelm
    Participant

I also ordered the micro MinimOSD, ordered a GPS with built in compass and ordered a barometer to be safe. But do you really need one? I know this naze does not have a barometer but seen some guy online who still had a altitude reding. From the GPS? If you’re going for a GPS I think you need a PPM reciver. The advantage with running things through the Naze is perhaps in the future there will come some cool functions in triflight. If you buy a stand alone version you will miss all that. From my understanding you should be able to connect the DIY Remzibi and the Tarot OSD both cheap standalone systems with GPS.

Marlon
    Participant

Hi,

I ordered the NZ GPS for NAZE32, the altitude will be coming from the GPS. The Remzibi is called a poor man’s GPS hahaha. I have a 8ch PPM receiver under way. The Tarot OSD has an GPS receiver but it’s to big for my taste and I didn’t see how I could mod the overlay. Where did you get the barometer? Is it the one with gyro? Below a pic of the Tarot OSD.

Thanks.

Attachments:
    Wilhelm
    Participant

I got this one from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380965050347?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It has not arrived yet but I saw on a forum a guy who used that model with a naze 32 acro. I think I will be getting the altitude from the GPS. I have a barometer on my garmin cycling computer and in my opinion the gps is better. Altough neither GPS or barometer is 100% accurate, it´s more of a ballpark figure! Got this GPS:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281893774234?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It will be fun trying to get it to work.

Rustypaint
    Participant

The setup I’m currently using is the Micro MinimOSD. No other sensors connected, but I get artifical horizon, flight time, RX signal, and battery voltage. I’m running this off of the BEC on the bottom plate.

Video of the osd:

I’m using the KV team osd firmware with some added bug fixes. There are others that are not buggy, but I like the artificial horizon on this one.
    https://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-development/

Wilhelm
    Participant

That looks very good, I did not know that you would get that amount of information without sensors. What´s the A in the corner? Mode? Maybe i´ll wait connecting the GPS… Nice landing!

Rustypaint
    Participant

The A is say that the accelerometer is working. I ended up turning that part of the display off latter. BTW, if you do have gps, this osd also gives you ground speed.

Wilhelm
    Participant

Rustypaint does the osd board power your naze? Or do you run parallel wires from the BEC on the bottom plate?

Rustypaint
    Participant

The osd is connected to the 5v rail of Tha name board. Bottom plate powers naze -> naze powers osd.

juansacco
    Participant

Im using a minimosd only using as power 5v from the board and it’s connected to the tx/rx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.