Home Forums Everything about the Mini Tricopter Mini Tricopter Wiring????

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    superjoepez
    Participant

Hey everyone, so here in sunny Philadelphia things are just starting to warm up and at long last I am prepping to build my mini tricopter. I am just having some wiring concerns that I cant seem to find answers to. First I was wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram for the mini tri with a BEC? Having this would help me a lot but Ill also just go ahead and ask for yalls advice.

So to start I am using the PDB frame with BEC but no FC. I will be using a Naze32 rev6 and It seems like it I have no clue what to use the BEC for. I mean the FC board can take up to 32v, the Immersion 600mw VTX takes 6v-25v, my camera (Lumenier CS-800 Super) takes 9v-12v. The only thing within the BEC voltage range is my receiver but that can simply take power off of the FC. So what am I supposed to use the built in BEC for? Also since most of my equipment is a higher voltage then 5v does that mean I will have to run another step down to get the battery voltage down?

Anyone that can help please do and like I asked earlier if anyone has a wiring diagram that would make my life much easier.

billyd
    Participant

Yeah if you can’t use the onboard bec there is no harm in not using it. I run a 12v camera and tx so the onboard bec is useless outside of the rx receiver. I’ve posted it several times but I use the dimension engineering adjustable regulator (they have a 3amp and a 1amp version) to get any non 5v voltages I need. They are small, light, low rf noise and fairly cheap. ($25 and $15). I realize you can go cheaper but watch out many cheap one are noisy and will reduce range or impact video quality.

As far as wiring the pdb it’s pretty straight forward you just connect the esc power wires to the pads nearest their location and the main lipo connector to the inputs on the rear. Have you watched David’s build video on this site?

superjoepez
    Participant

Thanks for the info Billyd. I have in fact watched Davids videos many times over. Im now realizing that this 5v BEC is not as useful as I thought it would be, I am used to using more 5v parts from my nano quad (this is my first non-nano build).

So how it stands now I will run the FC straight off of the PDB. I will use a 12v stepdown from the PDB to my camera and VTX. That only leaves the receiver, should I use the BEC or just power it from the FC? I assume the power coming off of the BEC is cleaner but is that really that important for the receiver?

billyd
    Participant

The bec also powers the tail servo forgot about that. But there should be plenty of power for the receiver too since it draws very little power unless you attach other devices to it.

David is planning to make a board with an 8v (I think) BEC so that the servo has more torque.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.