Home Forums Everything about the Mini Tricopter Motor rotation clarification

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    clide
    Participant

I noticed that in the debugging thread there was quite a bit of discussion of running the left front motor CCW and the right front CW to help the tricopter bank more naturally into turns. However in the build video David suggests the opposite. What are the pros and cons of doing it each way?

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

@David’s build video was probably shot well before we figured out new spin directions.
    The only benefit of the new one is that it helps the tricopter to yaw and bank to the same side. Imagine spinning up the right motor when you go into coordinated turn left. The torque of the motor with the old direction will be spinning the tricopter right. So the tail will have to compensate that even before you start applying left yaw command. In the new spin directions spinning up the right motor will actually give you natural yaw left, which will relieve some strain from the servo and will help you do more aggressive coordinated turns.
    Read it again, hope it’s clear enough. Please, feel free to ask if it’s not.

meborc
    Participant

So we just flip the right and left motor rotation direction as compared to the one shown in the build video, and flash the board as described in the product page?

David should overlay this information in the Youtube video.

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

I would flash the latest triflight code with symmetrical servo changes. The settings for the stock mini are provided by @lkaino in this topic: http://rcexplorer.se/forums/topic/debugging-the-tricopter-mini-racer/

Jasonh
    Participant

I set my front props as suggested. Left side CCW, and right side CW. But now that I’m going through the final setup, realize I have the tail mother rotating CW rather than the suggested CCW. From what I gather, CCW is only suggested to aid in keeping the nut on tight. Other than that, is there any reason why CCW is better that CW for the tail motor?

Thanks,
    Jason

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

I doubt someone tested triflight with CW back rotor, so if you test it this way, it will be great. I believe there should be no difference, but I might be missing something.

Rustypaint
    Participant

The only thing I would say is that it will change the centering trim for the yaw. Don’t know if there would be any change in flight characteristics though, but it will change the way you center your rear servo (to counter the opposing force).

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

You don’t really need to adjust centering for the mini. Triflight is calculating the zero point itself and the PID loops help adjusting it in flight.

Jasonh
    Participant

I did a test hover tonight under a street lamp with the rear motor spinning CW. No problems! Regardless, I will probably re-solder it tomorrow for CCW rotation.

I noticed when the NAZE first initializes, it set the rear motor tilted to the right a bit. Is that the pre-defined counter built into the settings?

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

I believe it is where you centered your servo. Scratch that. I actually realized that triflight requires you to have CCW tail rotor to work properly. It will fly anyway, but yaw will be way off.

Jasonh
    Participant

I’ve done a couple flights with just 1.9 flash, and the CW tail, and it flies OK. I don’t think it’s really dialed in yet, but the tail seems to be fine. But like I said, I will be switching it back to CCW shortly…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.