Home Forums Everything about everything else My RC journey. From a Funcub to a Bicopter. Nine years of an outstanding hobby

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Claude 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Claude
    Participant

CHAPTER ONE : HOOKED !

Hi,

my name is Claude, I’m swiss (mother) and french, and I live in France on the side of the Leman lake, close to Evian.

When I was young, I had some basic lessons at the local club, with a 2 axes (rudder elevator) gaz engine wood kit trainer.With an instructor, I learned to fly clean and level around the field, change my altitude with the engine power, and take off.

But at that time it was complicated to go to the field, as I was too young for a car and the fieldbox was very bulky. So I gave up quickly, before learning to land.

In 2011, I decided to finally start back flying models. Even if I think I’m quite cool & friendly guy, I really don’t have the “club” spirit, if you understand what I mean. So I decided first to train myself at home, with a simulator (Phoenix RC).

When I though it was time for real world flight, I subscribed to the still existing local club, to have a license / insurance and access to the club airfield. I then bought a very fun and unusual plane that nobody else owned at the club: a Multiplex Funcub.

I went to the airfield a early saturday morning, placed my Funcub on the runway, breathed deeply, pushed the left stick…and the oustanding hobby hooked me forever.

FUNCUB

Claude
    Participant

CHAPTER TWO : SOME GREAT PLANES !

The Funcub was of course fun, but not an ideal one to learn how to take off and land the usual way.

PLANE2

My second plane was a more classical trainer. A nice plane too, an E-Flite Alpha 450 Sport. With this one, I really learned clean take off, approach and landing, and coordinated turns (rudder + aileron).

PLANE3

The third one was a TopModel Ipanema. Heavier, robust, this plane could handle wind better.

PLANE4

After some time, prefering so called “taildraggers” planes, I got an E-Flite Taylorcraft 450. A very cute semi-scale plane. I still have it, and piloted it a lot. It’s very realistic in the sky, and so easy to fly …

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Claude.

Claude
    Participant

CHAPTER 3: ATTRACTED WITH HELICOPTERS !

Planes were fun, but I was attracted with helis. More technical, outstanding flying possibilities…

So I decided to start with “something” that was not to small, widely known, overall good quality,an Align T-REX450

heli01

that I quickly sold for a flybarless T-REX 500. I LOVED to patiently assemble my heli !!!

heli02

Of course flying an heli is much more demanding than flying most planes, so I trained a lot at home with Phoenix RC to acquire some good reflexes and have a good feeling of helicopters behaviour.
    I read a lot on HELIFREAK, and learned a lot from https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/ (many thanks to John Salt and his invaluable e-guides !!!)

After some weeks of training, I went to the field a saturday early morning, put my TREX500 on his skids middle of the runway, connected the 6S LIPO, pushed up the throttle cursor to spin up the rotor (pitch and throttle can be separated), nothing jerky, tail locked in … with the heart knocking I finally pushed up the left stick ! Holy Cow ! It was a revelation ! So easier to hover and do some basic flight than with the simulator. More stable !!!

Just to say, I was not interested for 3D. My idea was to learn to fly “scale” around the flying field with clean coordinated turns, and add a nice fuselage and some lights to my heli.

But, even if Learning flying it this was fantastic, I was not comfortable at all : I was scared of crashing it, and I was REAAAAALLY scared of the big spinning carbon blades !!! For me it was like playing with a running upsidedown lawnmower !!!

I sold it !
    heli03

Claude
    Participant

CHAPTER 4: BACK TO PLANES, BUILDING AN OLD TIMER !

After solding my heli, I stopped RC hobby for a while, until I discovered “old timers” RC planes through Youtube videos of Cocklebarrow Farm meetings.

I was amazed by these old designs that seem to fly so well, peacefully, in the windy clear skies of England.

I decided to build one myself. That would remind me when I built my first trainer so many years ago. So I ordered a Ben Buckle kit: the Junior60.

Some days later I received a long and narrow box, with 2 plans and balsa sticks … Hobby knife, pins, wood glue and sanding paper, the construction could begin …

OLD00

OLD01

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.