Home Forums Everything about the Mini Tricopter Quick betaflight question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Sam
    Participant

Hey y’all
    I’m getting ready for race season and basically what I’m trying to do is be able to change the VTX channel through the F3FC/headset/tx/OSD/whatever without fumbling with the button. I’m running an IRC Tramp HV that should have features similar to the TBS unify with smart audio.

So what I tried to do was flash the F3FC to betaflight 3.0 based on this: https://rcexplorer.se/forums/topic/f3fc-betaflight-target/
    (it’s actually the October 18th version pulled from betaflight)

In order to do this: https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight/wiki/IRC-Tramp
    While I admit this might be slightly over my head, the option just isn’t there.

My question is, is this only a betaflight 3.1 feature? Does the F3FC not even support this even if there was a 3.1 version available? Thanks.

lauka
    Participant

You can flash the newest Betaflight directly from the Betaflight configurator. The target is RCEXPLORERF3.

Sam
    Participant

Right, thanks Lauka. I managed to pull the latest available version (3.0) from betaflight right from the beginning. That wasn’t really an issue. But the latest betaflight version for other targets is 3.1 and I was wondering if that is why the option for the VTX doesn’t appear under the Peripherals dropdown section, or if I’m just missing something obvious.
    Do you know if the VTX command menu system is specifically supported with either the F3FC or betaflight 3.0?

Sam
    Participant

Okay I figured it out, it’s a betaflight v3.1.0 feature only. 🙁
    https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight/wiki/CMS-on-MWOSD

Any clue when the 3.1 version will be released for the F3FC?

Sam
    Participant

Cool, there actually is a prerelease of betaflight (3.1.0-RC11) for the F3FC
    You just have to grab it from github directly and not through betaflight:
    https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight/releases

Sorry for triple posting. Sometimes I find my own solutions and want there to be record of it.
    Just hope this release is stable enough

Edit: just realized you can click show unstable releases on betaflight as well. Someone should’ve told me haha!

fly4props
    Participant

Hi Sam,
    Just wondering did you get betaflight 3.1 working on your F3FC? I have been having a bear of a time to get my motor lay out to even work.

fly4props
    Participant

After a few nights of scratching my head with betaflight 3.1 . I got 3.1 to work. It seems I needed to play around with the resource mapping of the motors and the servo. My Resource dump if anyone needs it :

resource BEEPER A00
    resource MOTOR 1 A08
    resource MOTOR 2 B00
    resource MOTOR 3 A04
    resource SERVO 1 A07
    resource PPM A01

LarryTru
    Participant

This must be a stupid question given what you guys seem to be talking about. But what’s up with this talk of betaflight? We don’t have to use triflight any more to get the special sauce?

I guess that might mean that the triflight enhancements have been merged into betaflight?

Larry

Terje

@fly4props any resource for the servo feedback wire?

Terje

@LarryTru I can’t find any commits to Cleanflight/Betaflight from Ikaino/Lauka or references til F3FC or RCExlporer, but I obviously don’t know where to look.

fly4props
    Participant

@larrytru its just straight up betaflight 3.1 no triflight goodness. My baby tri flys so well with 3.0.1 (BF) I had to try BF 3.1. You just have to manually set up the servo. The thing I like the most is having my PID’s on my taranis for adjustments since I don’t have an osd.

@Terje any resource for the servo feedback wire? not that I know of. I set up my servo threw BF config. I looked high and low for any commits about the F3FC and didnt find any, I even asked boris and he didnt have any answer for me for the set up. I kinda was on my own threw trial and error (lots of error)

LarryTru
    Participant

@fly4props Thanks for that clarification.

I am not a very experienced pilot. So I guess I’ll just stick to triflight for now.

However, I am concerned about the fact that Cleanflight is becoming obsolete and triflight’s dependency on it. I wonder what the chances are for the “triflight goodness” to be merged into betaflight. My intuition tells me not to hold my breath.

Thx,

Larry

fly4props
    Participant

@larryTru yea that is kinda why I switched to betaflight only. I have 4 other quads on betaflight and wanted to get that feel on my mini tri. I was having a few issues with the tail tune so I thought switching to BF on my mini shouldnt be all that hard and it wasnt. But now I need to tune this to my liking…..but now I can do it thew my taranis (woot)!

SO far the PID defalts are good. you should give it a go 🙂

swissfreek
    Participant

@lkaino has said that he has looked into adding the triflight improvements to BetaFlight, but that it would take an amount of work that he doesn’t have time for at the moment. I’m sure it’ll happen eventually, but like you said, it won’t be tomorrow. I’m looking forward to flashing BetaFlight onto my baby tricopter once I get a new camera for it (my list of projects is long and my time is short, haha). Many have said that stock BetaFlight works much better with tricopter a than it or cleanflight used to (which is what led to triflight in the first place). Setting up the tail servo is not as hard as it seems at first. It wasn’t long ago that we had to do it the hard way even with triflight. I believe there’s still a video from @david on YouTube that shows the old method. New method is way easier but it just takes a little trial and error.

Dave Mak
    Participant

Here’s the feature request if y’all want to follow the triflight/betaflight merge:

https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight/issues/1241

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.