Home Forums Everything about everything else RCExplorer community PLANE

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    JRach
    Participant

Im thinking that we could use the forward swept idea but also use the tricopter frame for the base. the arms could be used for cable routing as well as spars. Then you already have a pdb and flightcontroller so you can add all the gizmos and fpv you want. The tricopter frame would also make a good place to mount the motor as we could use a plastic part that replaces the back boom or add it to a shorter back boom that has a plastic motor mount on the end.we could also use a hotwire to cut a foam nose and then glue that to the front spacer. So we would end up with this mini-drak looking plane. Or a molded viggen that would be awesome.

billyd
    Participant

How about a vtol design with the existing tricopter as a starting point? Or too complicated?

maz
    Participant

Im thinking that we could use the forward swept idea but also use the tricopter frame for the base. Then you already have a pdb and flightcontroller so you can add all the gizmos and fpv you want.

It’s a novel idea and It could work, it would certainly give you a place to put things, but the COG might suffer a lot.

@ Flight controller in most cases if designed right you can run an RC plane directly off the RX.
    And if you want Level/GPS/OSD type features, you’d be better off going with APM/PixHawk [mini] GPS as they have much superb support for fixed wing.

The Naze support is WIP last I saw [FPV labs have a 300+ page thread, tl;dr but it looks like there are bugs in some areas]

CC3D OpenFlight has some plane support, but not sure how much.

And of course there are the stand alone stabiliser modules which are just an auto level.

How about a vtol design with the existing tricopter as a starting point? Or too complicated?

I like the idea, but it would suit a T-copter design much better, as you’d have the thrust along the direction of travel rather than at 20-30 degrees off centre with David’s Y style.

You’d have to design a tilt mechanism for the Arm/Motor to tilt and lock at 90 degrees, this would have to be a rigid lock as you’d not want motors that wobble when in a hover, you’d also possibly run into problems with the centre of mass.

billyd
    Participant

We’d have to do a kit bashing but we could use most of the parts. The forward motors could form a straight line all it requires is relocation of the arms perpendicular to the centerline. As far as the forward motor rotation for transition from copter to airplane, that can be handled with a servo and drive gear step up to get 90 degrees of rotation of the forward arms. Easy enough. The rear motor is disabled in forward flight and we can even use the tail servo to stow the motor if we are clever about the shape of the fuselage.

maz
    Participant

We’d have to do a kit bashing but we could use most of the parts. The forward motors could form a straight line all it requires is relocation of the arms perpendicular to the centerline. As far as the forward motor rotation for transition from copter to airplane, that can be handled with a servo and drive gear step up to get 90 degrees of rotation of the forward arms. Easy enough. The rear motor is disabled in forward flight and we can even use the tail servo to stow the motor if we are clever about the shape of the fuselage.

I think that kind of defeats the object of it being a plane ^^.

I personally see planes as being two things.
    1. Simple, one motor two servos radio/fpv gear [flight controller/stabilisation optional].
    2. Cheaper, no need to buy three of everything. [This may be offset slightly by manufacturing costs if done in EPP, but still would be less than the Tricopter Kit + electronics].

That said some components “could” be used like JRach suggested, but it would be better to design an airframe from the ground up rather than an airframe around a pre-existing frame which is designed for a different purpose.

Nevertheless I did a quick mockup last night of JRach’s Idea, against an approximation of a swept wing aircraft.

I still feel that this approach puts the COG too far back, as you’d want as much weight forwards as possible.

A nose heavy plane fly’s like crap, but a Tail heavy plane fly’s only once :p

AtomicHemi
    Participant

I think that when you turn the tricopter top plate around so the back is the front if you narrow the body and squint a little, it kinda looks like a fun-jet but with a retro futuristic curved leading edge on the wing

Pavel
    Participant

I am also interested in such kind of airplane. I was thinking to design something like this myself. But did not try it yet. But sometimes I would like to try to do this, since I like this kind of airplane. David likes FunJet, or something like Ritewing Drag, I think something similar from foam board would be great!

Bengt
    Participant

The RCE tri’s are excellent designs. Every design change has been to go from good to better. No compromise. I don’t’ see changes intended for just saving a few bucks.
    Think about the performance attributes we like so much; slow relaxed cruising, super fast racing, durable, affordable and easy build.

An “RCE inspired airplane” should also be an excellent design in its own class and should share those attributes. The first design choices should aim at the intended performance attributes.

Starting the design around a concept of reusing old leftover parts from a tri is something completely different. Maybe interesting for some but the audience will be more limited.

Chris7485
    Participant

Sorry for the long wait, but my father, brother and I had to expand the family mancave for the newest arrival: A brand new lasercutter! What a beauty.

Just a quick update on what I’ve done yesterday:

CNC hotwired the fuselage and the wings, lasercut the side panals for the fuselage and assambled everything. I had some issues with the hotwire so yes I know, the nose of the fuselage isn’t that good, but will do for first flight. Used plywood for the side panels, but man is it hard to find some quality plywood that isn’t bend and twisted.

The frame weighs in at 190g so far, but will be lighter about 50 – 80g next revision. The reason: had to use what I have at the moment. That means that the wingjoiner spars are made of aluminium and the mainspar out of heavy wood. Will be changed for carbon fiber tubes.
    Secondly and most important, the styrofoam is way to stiff and heavy. I’ll get some great light one tomorrow, so I will rebuild the hole plane next week if the carbon arrives.

Things still to do:

– Plan and cut the fins
    – design and cut motor mount
    – design and cut fuselage interior (plattform for HD cam, battery, FC and so on)
    – Get a EMAX motor and ESC from David

As you can see, it’s still a work in progress. Have a look at the pictures and give me your opinion, criticism and ideas for improvement!!!

Terje

A bit of inspiration: Hobbyking Prime Jet Pro 🙂

Chris7485
    Participant

Hi guys,

just a quick update:

Version 1 of the RCExplorer plane flew, but not very well because of some CG issues.
    The fuselage generates so much lift due to its profile. Also the vertical stabilizers were way to small.
    Roll rate and power were excelent with a 5×4 prop on 4S 1600 mAh.

ChangeLog Version 2:

– new fuselage, shorter and more compact
    – overall new materials for wing and fuselage
    – bigger fins
    – landing skids to protect the prop
    – reinforced elevons
    – weight reduction

Pictures will follow!

Terje

The ReversaWing, proof of Concept 🙂

CG problems sounds familiar, so does the fins issue 🙂

mg
    Participant

apropos flight controller

Couldn’t Ardupilot being run on an F3FC?
    – damn question?
    – no way?
    – way to much work to do so?

Terje

On a plane you would go for something with a compass and barometer, like the Flip32+ or SPRF3 deluxe board (clone).

I did test fly my ReversaTwin yesterday, with a F3 board with barometer and compass and the awesome RCExplorer PDB with current sense. Even got the MinimOSD micro to work until actually mounted inside the plane… The operation was a success (it flew) but the patient died…

BTW here a big F*** U to the creator of the Seriously Pro F3 for the following statement based on which I purchased an ridiculous overpriced original SPRF3 Deluxe board:

“Use all the features all the time; e.g. Connect your OSD + SmartPort + SBus + GPS + LED Strip + Battery Monitoring + Sonar + 8 motors – all at the same time!”

Apparently using the USB at the same time as the OSD isn’t a feature. Having to disconnect your OSD EVERY TIME you want to adjust your PIDs or even get to the log that takes for ever to download, is pretty unacceptable to me.

Terje

ReversaTwin with SPRF3 flight controller…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about everything else’ is closed to new topics and replies.