Home Forums Everything about the Bicopter Setup problems

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vman
    Participant

I can run the motors from the beheli app but they do not arm. Do I need to calibrate them?

it appears the servos do not center when pitching forward then back. It also appears to be a different center when yawing left and right.

Using the Kakute F4 V2.2 FC, basically the electronics from David.

Vince

thorkan
    Participant

Hi Vince, I had exactly the same issue.
    The motors (esc) do not have to be calibrated.
    Its all about the betaflight…there you have to set the PWM area for arming with the sliders.
    For me it was working, when I choosed another switch and set the region with the sliders therefore.

I also thought the servos had different center points and did react differentwhen yawing, once the machine is armed that disappeared.

Servo calibration was a challenge , when they are reacting all the time when moving the machine and so its not possible to fine tune. Looks like I missed the step to deactivate the automatic.

At the end I used a servotester to set them to neutral, then attached them as horizontal as possible and it worked fine.

Give it a try, the motors react sensitive and you will notice malfunction before lift off.

Then its pure fun 😉
    Good Luck!

Kevin_Erik

ESC’s dont need calibration if using D-Shot, otherwise most other protcals do. Hence there is no reason not to use D-Shot if running BlHeli ESC’s.

When setting up your Servos its best to start out with a PWM of 1520 milli-seconds as this is whats concidered by Bluebird to be the Servos “mechanical” center point. After which, power up the copter (no props / disarmed) and the Servos will snap to their new center points after the FC has initialized. You’ll see that the Tilt-Mech is off a bit or even alot at this pont. Simply remove the Tilt-Mech and manualy center it by hand for 1520 ms. If your using the Impossible tilt, you cam use the marks on the Tilt-Mech agaist the marks on the supports to verify center.

For the forward and back points you’ll want 35 or 40 degrees from center (1520). Ideally 40 is great but i have found that often you may need to limit the range to prevent the Tilt-Mech from possibly contacting other hardware.

Note: Servo tester is not needed once you figure out how to manage the Servos in Betaflight.

vman
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. I had to play around with the Aux1 switch and position and slider. What was confusing was that since I was plugged into USB port the motors would not arm so I would not see the ARM go from grey to yellow even though the little indicator was going to the correct zone. After going to the motors page and enabling the master motor on switch then ARM would change from grey to to yellow and the throttle control on the radio worked.

Thanks to Joshua Bardwell for pointing out the STATUS ARM MSB

Sure enough once ARM was setup properly and the USB cable unplugged the motors spun with throttle input from the radio.

Thanks now I can finish mechanical assembly and test fly it.

jstremmler
    Participant

Think for adjusting servo midpoints and endpoints one should still follow David’s advice from the building video.

vman
    Participant

Finally got a chance to try and fly. First dozen or so attempts were not going well. For some reason I couldn’t quite figure out if the servos go forward or reverse with forward stick motion. I was thinking like a fixed wing pilot instead of a quad pilot. After watching the rotor riot video of David and Drew I saw how they were setup. I also noted that David suggested horizon mode. I checked my switch positions and sure enough I was in Acro. Changed that and changed servo direction and wow it really flies!!

Not much room in my yard for anything besides hover and that was hard to do with the wonky backwards flight. But it flies!

jstremmler
    Participant

Hoovering is not flying…..

vman
    Participant

Hovering might not be flying but it is a darn site better than throttle up flopping over and twitching like a dying bird. ?? I was able to maneuver around a bit but not much room in my yard.

Anyone else notice that when lying upside down the bicopter looks like it is doing push-ups?

Kevin_Erik

Yeah, much better than Arming the copter to see it instantly going to full throttle on only one motor. Had this happen to me about 6 months back due to a faulty feedback wire. Needless to say both my Servo and the Attached Motor were trashed.

jstremmler
    Participant

@vman:”Hovering might not be flying but it is a darn site better than throttle up flopping over and twitching like a dying bird. ?? I was able to maneuver around a bit but not much room in my yard.”

I totally agree !

“Anyone else notice that when lying upside down the bicopter looks like it is doing push-ups?”

This is why we have to avoid landing upside down under any circumstances!

In the moment I see only one choice to avoid this situation, which then could prevent us from damaging our servos and support the servo industry:
    We install a small electronic switch which is connected to a free channel to our RX. On the TX we define a switch for this channel. Servo power is then directed via this switch, So if we then operate this switch we can take off all power from the servos (dangerous!!) and we also can define that this happens when we have a failsafe situation on our bicopter. Electronic switch is $4…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Bicopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.