Home Forums Everything about everything else Shaky mobius footage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    wynnsquad
    Participant

Hey guys I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas for me here. Just got a mobius action cam and flew it for the first time on my tri just now. After the flight I was disappointed to see how shaky the video was.

Here’s what I’ve got:

-Wood vibration dampening tray from the flite test tricopter scratch build
    -Mobius sits on the angled piece of wood and is strapped down with velcro
    -3S 3000 LiPo strapped to the tray
    -DT 750 motors
    -Gemfan 10×4.7 props (recently balanced)

And here’s a couple pics and a video clip

wynnsquad
    Participant

Thanks guys for any ideas you might have about how I might fix this!

Terje

What gauge wire are you using for the coupling between battery tray and frame? You might try thinner wire and/or heavier battery. Also make the wedge longer to support the whole of the mobius and place velcro between the wedge and the mobius.

wynnsquad
    Participant

Hey thanks Terje for the advice, I’ll try and do as you’ve suggested and see how it helps. The wire is .062″ inch music wire or 1.57mm which is a hair thicker than the 1.5mm wire David recommends I think

mmemetea
    Participant

An ND filter would probably do no harm…

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

Video of the tricopter in flight might help tremendously. There are multiple options what can cause these vibrations. I doubt the tray can handle it even if it’s done perfectly.

wynnsquad
    Participant

@LeoTheHuman: Do you mean a LOS video of the tricopter in flight? I included a youtube video in my first post above of the shakiness/jello while in-flight (FPV style).

I’m going to try again tonight with a heavier battery (16 oz instead of 9 oz) to see if that helps and then I’ll report

Thanks!

donnyb
    Participant

It might be a good idea to pull off the props and wind it up to feel if you have a unbalanced motor. Also a slight bent shaft Will give you some hi pitch vibes. Also feel if everything is snug. I’ve ran into all of the above. Actually I’ve had motors come out from the mount. On my mobius I keep in in the holder. Before you stick velcro on the bottom you might want to remove the rubberized coating. I don’t even strap it down.

wynnsquad
    Participant

Hey thanks for all the help guys, I’m going to do some more in-depth vibration analysis to see what exactly is going on.

I flew again last night with a heavier 5000mAh 3S and I saw significant improvement in the video footage. It was still a bit shaky but not nearly as bad. I’m hoping however to be able to get rid of the vibration without having to use the larger battery though but we’ll see.

Also I’m thinking of moving to 4S with 9X4.7 props. Any chance that this kind of setup might help to smooth things out?

LeoTheHuman
    Participant

Close-up video of the copter in flight might reeeally help. (:

cenko
    Participant

try moongel – got this hint from painless360:

my mobius is sandwiched between 2 pads on the buttom and one on top and strapped with velcro. Worked great for me. Of course I balanced the props and motors first

wynnsquad
    Participant

Hey that moongel looks pretty awesome! I’ll have to give it a tri (haha I made a pun).

I’ve spent a couple hours yesterday trying to re-balance my motors and props. One of the motors/props on my tricopter now has almost ZERO vibration but for whatever reason, I’m struggling to get the other two to behave the same way. I tried the laser balancing method but it hasn’t worked too well for me yet. Anyone have experience disassembling the motor and then just placing the shaft/bell on a prop balancer and doing it that way? I think I might try that next.

Thanks for all the help! I’m getting there.

Freakazoid
    Participant

this foam worked well for me. Of course, balanced props and motors are most important. You can also try this mount. It didn’t work so well for me, but it may will on your tri.

wynnsquad
    Participant

Hey guys thanks for all of your help and suggestions. For the past few days I’ve been super stubborn trying to tune and balance everything perfectly in order to eliminate my vibrations without having to use any vibration dampening foams or other products. I’ve finally however given up on that. Today I simply added some velcro between the angled camera mount and the mobius, and 95% of the problem is solved. I’m sure that using a more advanced product like the moongel or the vibration foam would make it even better.

Bottom line I still think David’s vibration dampening design is great but if you’re like me and have a camera that is lighter than a gopro, a lighter battery, and slightly stiffer vibration dampening wires (mine are 1.57mm dia. instead of 1.5) then I think you’ll likely need to add a little extra vibration dampening.

Terje

On my tricopter micro (110mm booms) I used 1.2mm music wire to accommodate the lighter mobius and 850mAh lipo. Worked great. Added bonus: the 1.2mm wire is SO much easier to work with 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about everything else’ is closed to new topics and replies.