Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    villalji
    Participant

Hi,
    Sometime ago, I broke one of the arms of my tricopter v3.5 (naze32) with typical set-up, in this case 2830-900kv motors, I was thinking of just cutting that length on the other two booms, and make it a bit shorter (27.5 cm instead of 32,5 cm, or 15% shorter booms). What would be the effect in the tricopter flight? Would it fly fine, or should I change the booms to full length? (I have some old carbon booms, with rounded innner, but they are of inferior quality…).
    Could someone point me to what is the effect of the length of the booms in the behavior of the tri-copter? Other changes that would be necessary on PIDs, motors, etc?
    Thanks a bunch for any information you can provide!

Attachments:
    villalji
    Participant

Has anyone out there tried different arm lenghts on the v3 or v4 tricopter?

wilco1967
    Participant

Hi villalji

I’ve had some broken arms before, and just continued flying it with ONLY that single arm shortened, while awaiting a replacement arm…. so one arm was significantly shorter then the other two…. no problem.

you could also shorten them all, but once shortened, you can’t stretch them again… 😉

As long as your PID tuning is not right at the limit, it will fly just fine…. (and else, retune slightly).

villalji
    Participant

Thanks @wilco1967, I have a set of normal length arms and another set of the slightly shorter (27.5cm instead of 32.5cm) the question is which one would fly better with the motors, etc of my first post… what was your experience? Better, worst or the same with shorter arms? Perhaps, as you say, it’s just a matter of taste and/or PID tuning, but I am curious of your experience… what do you mean with PID not right at the limit?

Terje

I have a 360mm version of the V3/V4 and it flies great. Less floaty and more responsive.

William
    Participant

I have moved the motors in the same distance on the arms as where the motor is on the broken arm while waiting for the replacements and when the replacements arrived moved the others back to the ends.

il4.serg
    Participant

@villalji, I recently replaced 33cm with 30cm extruded carbon booms. I noticed no effect on the flying performance. One book cracked though. The extruded carbon is definately more fragile than RCExplorer offers.

il4.serg
    Participant

@villalji, I noticed two types of arms on the picture you posted, one original from David and another from extruded carbon (i guess). I highly recommend not to use the second type because it is much less stronger (also pointed by David) and it is current conductive! I used it recently and my tricopter started smoking. The original booms seems to be covered with something and don’t conduct electricity.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Tricopter V4’ is closed to new topics and replies.