Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  swissfreek 2 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

chris
    Participant

Hello,
    How do I wire the F3FC tricopter v4 to a spectrum receiver or what is a compatible receiver that works with the F3FC board and can bind with a spektrum dx9

swissfreek
    Participant

You can use an OrangeRX R620X. They (HobbyKing) sell both a CPPM and a SBUS version. Get whichever you prefer. SBUS is technically lower latency but using PPM will also open up a UART for other uses. The SBUS version is good for 16 channels in SBUS while the CPPM version only has 9 in PPM, but since you’re using a DX9 they both max out all your channels anyway, so that doesn’t really matter. You would connect the SBUS version the same way @david does in the video as he was using an SBUS receiver (different radio brand, doesn’t matter). For the PPM version you would connect it to PWM6/PPM pins (see the pin labels on the product page for the F3FC, and it’s also printed on the board). In that case, signal pin is closest to the front of the board, 5v is in the middle, and ground is closest to the tail of the board.

You could also use the Spektrum Race Receiver. In that case you would connect as if it was SBUS *except* do not use the 5V pin on the UART row, connect your power wire to the 3.3V pin on the board (again, see the diagram, and 3.3V is also printed on the board). This is because Spektrum Satellites and the Race Receiver which is derived from them run on 3.3V, not 5V like (almost) every other receiver on the planet. This receiver is more expensive than the OrangeRX but you can probably find it in your local hobby shop (at least here in the US) and it may give you peace of mind that it is official Spektrum-branded equipment (though I have not had any more issues with OrangeRX receivers than any other Spektrum receiver).

Hope that helps.

sscott
    Participant

If your Spektrum receiver comes with a separate satellite receiver, you can connect the satellite receiver directly to a UART port on the F3FC (just make sure to set the UART to 3.3V).

You will need to use the main Spektrum receiver to bind the satellite, but after that you can dump the main receiver and just use the satellite receiver. I do it, and it works well for me.

swissfreek
    Participant

Very true, that is also an option. So even if you have an AR610 or other Spektrum PWM receiver, you can just use the Satellite. The Race Receiver does have diversity, so you theoretically would get a little better reception from it, but practically I doubt it makes much difference. LemonRX and OrangeRX also make satellite modules that you could use (LemonRX in particular has a model with diversity) which are very reasonably priced.

@sscott, is it required to switch the UART to 3.3V? Is there any reason you couldn’t pull power from the 3.3V pin that is already on the board? That would avoid having to move that surface-mount diode, which can be kind of a pain in the ass if you aren’t properly equipped to do it…

sscott
    Participant

@swissfreek: it’s only required if you power the satellite receiver from the UART. If you can power the satellite receiver from another 3.3V source, then no need to change the UART voltage.

I’m not certain how the 3.3V pin on the board is currently powered, so I would make sure that it provides enough current to power the satellite receiver before using it.

I am currently actually using a tiny inline 3.3V BEC to power my satellite receiver from the 5V BEC on the board, as I didn’t want to hack my satellite cable, and the only cable that I could find had an inline BEC already installed (from Hobbyking).

swissfreek
    Participant

OK, that’s what I figured. Pretty clever of them to have an inline regulator.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.