Home Forums Everything about the Tricopter V4 Tail motor spools up weirdly

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Egriesho 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Egriesho
    Participant

Hey guys, just got my tricopter v4 built and it’s haven some problems. Whenever I arm the tri and fly it the tail motor does this hopping motion make the tail go up and down and very hard to control and impossible to get good videos. I’m using the integrated f3fc board and using the clean flight setup video. Any ideas.

Dave Mak
    Participant

Do you have any video to post showing this? Might help to see it. My guess is it could be any one of the following (or a combination):

* Balance / Vibration issue with motors/props. If you followed the videos, you would have balanced the props, but did you check for vibrations from the motors themselves? People have used zip ties to balance motor bells. You can also VERY CAREFULLY try to do dynamic balancing with prop and motor (one motor/prop at a time obviously).

* PID values. Are you using the build equipment as recommended or purchased from DavidW/rcexplorer? If so, did you use the configuration example he posted for Triflight .5 on this page: https://rcexplorer.se/product/tricopter-v3-kit/ in the example configuration tab? While that would be a good start, you may also need to further fine tune / adjust values to suit you.

* You mentioned using cleanflight. Are you using stock cleanflight or triflight, which is the modified version that adds some rcexplorer tricopter specific features like the tail calibration and tuning functionality?

Egriesho
    Participant

Dave, thanks for the suggestions. I have already balanced the props multiple times and have rotated the motors multiple times and neither have changed my results.

I am using motors and speed controllers that are based on the recommendations. They are neither the rcexplorer kit or the actual recommended ones, though they are high quality and should do the job. I am using the recommended PIDs that were described and shown how to put in in the setup video, this is my first frame where I have the capability to change PIDs so I am very very new to what they even do exactly.

I am using the triflight software. I have followed the cleanflight video, that David posted, to a T.

If a video would still be helpful just tell me and Ill see if I can get a quick clip of what its doing.

Egriesho
    Participant

@DaveMak
    I’m running speedix 30a hv escs with Golden Power A2217-7 1250KV Brushless Motors. And I’m using the stock PIDs that David provided on the product page. Would having the PIDs like this only effect the tail motor like what is happening in my case.

Did you set the pitch value to 180 degrees in the board alignment section of the setup tab in CleanFlight? My guess is that if you didn’t, it’s probably the culprit behind the issue. Hope this helps! Good luck. 🙂

Egriesho
    Participant

Yes I did change the pitch to 180 when doing the initial setup. I have a feeling it’s in the PIDs since I’m using the suggested PID settings but not the RCExplorer electronics. I stated previously but I am running 30a hv speedix ESCs and Golden Power A2217-7 1250kv motors.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.