Home Forums Everything about the Tricopter LR Thinking about getting the LR Tricopter, need advice.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jihlein 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

lifeofbrian
    Participant

I would like a drone that’s very automated. I see that arducopter lists the Kakute F4 as a compatible flight controller, would I have to use the dRonin first then Arducopter, (I haven’t used an FC before). Also, is the babyPDB good enough to have cameras, LIDAR, GPS etc?

If these questions don’t make much sense, it’s because I’m a noob.

Kevin_Erik

Well its your money and you can buy what you want… That being said, you may want to start off on something simpler before building the LR. (Tribaby or 3″ quad) In the long run, you’ll save money, learn allot and save yourself quite a bit of frustration working on bigger projects. Now as for LIDAR and GPS, Yes it’s possible but only if you have the knowledge to build it yourself. (or are willing to learn it) Granted, folks here are more than willing to provide guidance but they’re not going to do it for you.

BTW, there is no such thing as a fully automated copter unless you buy something like DJI. IMHO, most DJI owners / pilots usually end up doing something profoundly stupid with tech they don’t fully understand. It’s part of why the laws governing Multirotor flight are in the state their in.

PeterPankras
    Participant

If you want a very automated drone I would not suggest using a Tricopter, you need to test how it behaves during autonomous flight etc.

I suggest you use a quad. (Or a hex or octocopter)

Not that it is not possible with a copter, I’ve seen some nice Arducopter projects, but I find a quadcopter more predictable when you want to experiment with autonomous flight.

jihlein
    Participant

You don’t have to, and can’t to mix firmwares, it’s one or the other. You use Betaflight or iNav or dRonin or Arducopter firmware. You might use the Betaflight configurator to help with the initial load of a different firmware, but that’s as far as the “mixing” of firmwares goes.

While the KakuteF4 may be compatible with ArduCopter, the way it’s resources are defined it’s not capable of flying a tricopter. That may or may not be easily changed with a new resource definition file and recompiling the KakuteF4 target.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.