Home Forums Everything about the Tricopter LR Tricopter LR – First impressions

This topic contains 64 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  billyd 8 hours, 54 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
  • Author

billyd
    Participant

I’ve been using ecalc for years. I was really wondering about the physical size of the lipo and whether or not it would fit.

What is the AUW weight of the tri LR without lipo with typical fpv setup?

Kevin_Erik

Dont know as i only just got mind assembled today. Will post specs and a photo tomorrow.

Kevin_Erik

Did the Maiden flight using 5″ Dal props just in case something was setup wrong I don’t lose a full set of 8″ HQ’s due to an Auto-Flip. Dal 5″ props are cheap, while HQ is a bit too costly to risk on a test run.

So far, everything works, including the Telemetry!

503 Grams as shown with 1800 mAh 45C Lipo and 8″ HQ Props.
    IMG_1373

Notice that I don’t yet have a Camera or VTX installed. Figured it would be easier to troubleshoot after the Maiden and to later install the Camera. (Still have to buy one though, dam i forgot) I did however have an extra 20 mm camera TPU mount from the Tri-Baby. Fits good here so far but I may need to add 1 mm spacers when the camera is installed as it looks as if the Stand-off spacing is slightly wider.
    IMG_1374

Under the Arms, I’ve added extra large Zip-Ties to act as feet to help steady the Tri during Takeoff and Landings. This also has the benefit of helping to keep the Tri remain level when first arming. (During Gyro self-cal) Otherwise I’m sure the LR would slowly start to drift in Auto-Leveling modes. (as do my other copters)
    IMG_1375

Using Red stand-offs as it makes the copter more visable.
    IMG_1376

Perfect location for the R-XSR Receiver antennas. Later, i may opt to place the receive in-between the carbon plates to help isolate it from EMF.
    IMG_1377

Going out to Autotune and will post the results later. That is assuming the Wind cooperates with me.

Kevin_Erik

Autotune complete!

Overview

Roll

Pitch

Yaw

Damp and Sense

Stab Tab

Kevin_Erik

Tail Calibration Completed (1st try, OMG!)
    LR-TRI In-Flight Servo Cal

Hovering < 18% Throttle with a Motor Thrust Factor of 23.8. Man this Copter is so powerful, 5.5 to 1 TWR !!!

Side note: After my first test flight and later Autotune, the LR was vibrating badly so I stopped the Tail-Cal and landed. It appears that i lost two screws from the right motor. I’ve since replaced those and added a small amount of Blue-Lock tight to All motor screws to prevent them backing out so easily.

Kevin_Erik

Did the 1st real flight after tuning. Tried to get as close to half a battery as possible..

Time 7:15
    Vbat 15:12V (3.78 per cell) as per RC Telemetry (Just over half, 3.7V)

Figuring that the copter could fly for about 15-16 minutes on 4S. Which is about twice that of the Tri-Mini and three times that of the Tri-Baby. Going full acro-mode I’m guessing 10-12 minutes would be about right. The Motors do get warm to the touch due to the prop load.

That being said, it looks to be possible to do an hour on 3S-6000mAh LiPo. Just in case anyone was wondering.

Tim
    Participant

@kevin_erik Nice build and thank you for all the information. What settings do you use in xcoptercalc, since the motor is not in the database (yet)?

Kevin_Erik

Look for motors of the similar specifications.

Size 2207
    KV 1600

Wattage will be the hard thing to match here simply because theres no much data from Emax on this. Just find a motor with the highest Wattage rating that still meets the Size and KV. Once you have that, you can use this to create a custom motor by changing specific values to get as close to Emax spec as possible.

Side note: You need an account on eCalc to be able to customize values and have complete access to the data base.

Be aware however that if you dont customize, that eCalcs data base is a bit old so your likely to find motors that are much heavier for the same size and KV. Emax’s new motors use Titanium shafts and a light weight bell design that makes a big differance to the overall weight / performance of the copter.

swissfreek
    Participant

At first glance your data looks similar to mine. I had a servo speed of 250, I’m guessing if you were running your servo at 5V that would account for the difference. My thrust factor was 25.something, which is ballpark with yours, and I’m running on 3S. Would have to check the tune for specifics but I think it’s in line with what I got. Nice looking build!

Kevin_Erik

Servo should be running 6V… Guess i will have to double check the output then.

swissfreek
    Participant

Yeah, every time I’ve done it, I’ve gotten a servo speed of 249.9ish, so basically 250. For sure something is different between our results.

Very nice looking build Kevin!
    In my tests running the setup on 3s is more efficient as you use the motors closer to their peak efficiency inside the powerband. But I didn’t do enough testing to determine how much of a difference there is.
    Would be cool to try a 3s and a 4s with the same Wh and have the coper weigh the same.

Any pics of your setup @swissfreek ? 🙂

billyd
    Participant

Regarding flight time, David’s write up says 3sx5200mah yields 40 mins of hover. If we assume 80% being used then that means the LR uses 104 mah/min in a hover. So to achieve a 1 hr hover that would use 6240 mah. So you would need a 3sx7800mah lipo to hover for 1 hour (using 80% capacity).

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  billyd.

Stor Apa
    Participant

Hi Folks,

Has anybody considered using a pack built from 18650 cells. You could build a 3s x 2p 6ah pack that weighed 300 grams. This should improve flight time?

billyd
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.