Home Forums Everything about the Mini Tricopter Triflight setup guide

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 256 total)
  • Author
    AtomicHemi
    Participant

Hi

I have been running the old 1.9 tricopter rewrite for some time with a some what manageable yaw instability (felt like a rally car going sideways) on a Trifecta with the recommended servo running 3S I recently changed to the triflight alpha2 servo

Does changing the servo frequency affect the yaw PID’s? I am using the RCE mini PID’s and I find that in fast forward flight the yaw will drift considerably with a any cross wind

aoym
    Participant

Quick question for triflight, is it available for the RMRC Dodo? This might be a stupid question but I have to ask.

I assume the “RMDO” is rmrc dodo
    https://github.com/lkaino/Triflight/releases

bhuism
    Participant

@aoym, that is correct RMDO = dodo fc target 🙂

bhuism
    Participant

@swissfreek, maybe you can also tell me if there is an onboard flash storage chip for blackbox logging in the F3FC or not? On David’s product page it says ‘blackbox logging’ but the configurator says: ‘no dataflash chip found’. thanks! Bas

found the answer here: http://rcexplorer.se/blog/2016/05/new-f3-based-integrated-flight-controller-frame-coming-soon/#comment-81907

RcNova
    Participant

Hi there

I have a problem with my servo setup, can you help me please? Cant find an answer to this specific question.

My gear:
    stand alone Naze32 rev5 with triflight 0.5 beta 3
    davids bluebird servo with feedback wire

I set up like david in his video…reciever tab for 1000 1500 and 2000 us and so on
    (had to reverse yaw in my radio to make it work in correct direction)

now the servo setup in cf via servo tab: get the mid with servo setup tool no problem, 1512us for mid value
    but now the problem: min would be 520 to match the 40degrees from setup tool but 2500us which is the max are still not enough to get the 40degrees on the other side

with other words: I cant get my servo to move the whole 40 degrees in each direction from mid

an idea was to move the spline one step but 20us are not enough room to fix the problem (we are at max 500us on this side after 20us)

any ideas?

and an other thing: hooked the servo feedback wire to RC6 output on regular naze32 rev5 with the cli command: set servo_feedback = ext1…is this correct? how do i know that the servo feedback is functioning?
    Not shure about M1-3 and S1 connection either…

thank you all for your response
    RcNova

forgot to mention: still on PWM connections with a devo 7 if it helps

Bengt
    Participant

Maybe your servo is not mechanically centered good enough and is hitting an end limit.
    You may have to do this again if you change the feedback.

RcNova
    Participant

I centered the servo via spare receiver before fitting into the tilt mechanism…servo 5 midpoint in cleanflight is 1512us so this one should be fine

what do you mean with “…if you change the feedback”?

would it increase deflection if I increase dual rate in tx or trim endpoints lower as 1000us or higher than 2000us via receiver tab? that are the only ideas I have but couldnt test it yet.

Bengt
    Participant

When I assembled last time I centered the servo with a separate servo tester before assembly. With everything installed, with the real rx, the center was off so I had to open the spline and align it better.
    Next I connected the feedback wire and changed servo feedback in CLI from virtual to ext1. The center was off again. Very off. So I had to open the spline and align it again.

From that I think the mechanical center (the spline) must be set with the rx and feedback connection in the intended configuration.

The only trim I do in the tx is the end points. Should be as close as possible to the 1000/2000 limits but not outside those limits.

I have been thinking about adding two resistors to the feedback wire to scale it from 5V to 3.3 but so far only thinking. I suppose the ext1 center would come more close to the virtual. The release notes for 0.5 beta 1 mention a voltage divider but I think most people never read that far. It seems to work fine anyway but you could try.

suburban
    Participant

Guy’s – i don’t know anything about programming or pretend to be a gun at tuning etc – but im a follower of BorisB and his Betaflight project, so the question gets asked (and i hope this doesn’t come across as offensive to ikana, it maybe my ignorance to how things work in the prog. world)

Can Triflight be modified off the code of the latest Betaflight ?

With all the mass updates and success of the betaflight project and how its changing the game for mini quads, im wondering if the Tri code can be tacked onto one of the latest BF codes to give the best of both worlds ?

If it can be tacked on, im sure that would take Triflight and tricopters to the next level as far as tuning potential goes!

If not – then put this post down to me not knowing jack s 🙂 t about the technical side of things !

🙂

meborc
    Participant

I am not sure it would benefit to have bleeding edge base where another layer of bleeding edge (tricopter specific code) is tacked on. Too many points of failure 😀

What new features specifically are you currently missing that would benefit the tricopter family?

lauka
    Participant

Triflight was based on Betaflight in the beginning. Because of the super fast release schedule of BorisB back then (couple of releases every week), I decided it’s best to base it on more stable platform – Cleanflight. There was too many variables in the Triflight itself, as @meborc mentioned I didn’t want to include features or potential flaws of another “bleeding edge” fork.

Nowadays the Betaflight release schedule has slowed down and thus the merge could be possible. Cleanflight devs are working on merging the features that are considered ready on Betaflight back to Cleanflight. I will much rather rebase on the latest Cleanflight and get the features + improvements through that route. Plus it’s easier to merge Triflight back to Cleanflight this way.

Terje

Just did a tail tune on a mini with integrated F3FC and 8v out on a BlueBird HV22 servo with servo feedback (after marked modification). Seems to be working flawlessly! The servo seems to output the correct voltage on the feedback regardless of it being HV 🙂

lauka
    Participant

@Terje: How does it fly with the new features in Triflight? Beginning of this year when I was testing it was producing terrible oscillation on coordinated turns. Any videos? Logs?

I’m planning to convert a baby tri to 8V servo at some point.

Terje

@Lauka I did some flights this afternoon. Don’t know if I’ll bother uploading the video though. Coordinated turns work great on the mini, no oscillation that I noticed. Similar results with the BabyTri. Two things though: Going from punch out to idle throttle in horizon mode renders a stable tricopter. Doing the same in acro mode still sends it tubeling?

Tested the the current metering on the mini vs. the BabyTri. Same motors, same ESCs, same 1400mAh 4S lipos (tested with 4 packs). Mini flew on 6045 blades, BabyTri flew on 5045 triblades. Scale factor on both is 360. On the mini the lipos would go under safe voltage before reaching 1000mAh (one lipo dropping to 9v with 1390mAh drawn), the BabyTri could draw almost 1400mAh and still maintain 14.7v?

BabyTri is 325g + Yi + lipo, Mini is 400g + Yi + lipo.

lauka
    Participant

@Terje: Interesting. Where you flying forward when cutting the throttle in horizon?

I haven’t tested the stable modes. Maybe they have stronger correction for the tumbling effect.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 256 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Mini Tricopter’ is closed to new topics and replies.