Home Forums Everything about everything else Using SMA extensions for 5.8 ghz FPV

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wynnsquad
    Participant

Hey guys,

In a recent crash, I ripped the sma connector from my vtx. Luckily I was able to repair it, but i’m wondering if in the future, I should get an extension to my antenna so that in a crash I don’t just snap it off again. Does anyone know if using an extension would cause performance to suffer?

donnyb
    Participant

I use a sma extentions on all my stuff. I don’t really see much difference on the transmitting side of things. I don’t know the actual number of signal loss I think it was .5 db per connection. If your transmitting with .25 mw, it could suffer a bit. If your transmitting with a 200-600mw it would be impossible to see a difference. On the receiving side of things is a different story. If you have a antenna with 3 db gain And you lost 1 db of gain you lost a 3rd of your reception. Say for instance you wanted to have a antenna on a 10 foot mast you lose the 1 db in connectors and 2 db in wire you lost all the gain from your antenna. That might be a little more information your looking for. But getting in the ball park with how the transmission and reception how it really works will help you out in the future.

wynnsquad
    Participant

Cool thanks donnyb!

That’s exactly the info I was looking for.

Kevin
    Participant

See, for us Americans, the ones that don’t want to get a ham radio license because they think it isn’t useful and a stupid license to have just for this hobby here is a great example of where it will come in helpful. Part of getting the ham radio license is learning some basic antenna design.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about everything else’ is closed to new topics and replies.