Home Forums Everything about the Tricopter V4 What's the difference between the standard and speed setups

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Agent CAL
    Participant

I just recently pre-ordered the V3 kit, and now that it will probably be coming soon, I’m going to order the electronics. I can’t really decide between the standard setup (900 kV motors) and the speed setup (1200 kV motors) What are the advantages/disadvantages of each setup? The speed setup sounds cool, because I might use the tricopter to film fast moving objects (maybe waterskiing, wake boarding). The speed setup has smaller props too. The thing is, will the smaller, faster props cut back on the overall lift capacity? What is the speed difference between the two setups? Basically, I don’t know the ups and downs of each method. Does anyone have knowledge in that area?

Thanks

michielvw
    Participant

With the speed setup you’ll get about 1 min less flighttime, the motors will be spinning faster so balancing youre props will be more important. Smaller props will indeed also have an effect on the overall lift capacity. david says he uses the speed setup because the speed is addictive and he just get’s one minute less flight time so i don’t think you need to worry about the lift capacity.

The 1200kV setup cuts the air better, desends straight down better and is faster. But it flies for around a minute less. The higher RPM’s also makes balancing the props more critical. Other than that they are pretty similar. The speed setup actually have a bit more thrust.
    You are not loosing lifting ability, you’re trading efficiency lifting that cargo in a hover. You gain that efficiency back when flying fast 🙂

Agent CAL
    Participant

OK, that clears things up. I already bought the 900kV motor setup on Hobbyking, but it’s probably not something to worry about anyway. Can’t wait for the tricopter/electronics to come, then I can put it together with my FPV system!

Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Tricopter V4’ is closed to new topics and replies.