Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    StuckXJ
    Participant

Hey folks!

I was hoping I could get a little assistance wiring up my GPS. I’ve been lurking and reading for a while and have mostly assembled my tri.

I ordered up the M8N+HMC5983 as that was what jihlein had recommended way back when I started ordering parts.

The connections from the GPS are:
    GND: This one is easy, ground, I’m going to plug into one of the open grounds on the F4 v2.
    SDA:
    SCL:
    TX:
    RX:
    VCC: This is + in, looks like this GPS will step down 5v to 3.3; but, wants 5v in so I’ll use the open 5v port on the F4 v2.

I believe I’m going to want to use SDA to R6, SCL to T6, TX to R4, and RX to T4 and then configure when I set everything up on the PC.

Here are some pics:

Tricopter LR

Thanks for the help!
    -Steve

swissfreek
    Participant

No, SCL and SDA need to go to the SCL and SDA pads (on the bottom). Pick 6 or 4 for TX and RX (doesn’t really matter which, but I use 6 because 4 only recently got its RX pin back). If you use 4, make sure the bottom box on the configuration page had RX4 acting as RX4, not ADC or It’s set correctly by default, but just in case you happen to have changed it.

billyd
    Participant

And to elaborate, use rx to tx and tx to rx, and SDA to SDA and SCL to SCL

I recommend using T6 R6 for the gps because Uart4 can be used for other things like an analog rssi or similar

StuckXJ
    Participant

Thank you both so much for the help! I can’t believe I missed the pads on the bottom…

Also I wired up tx to tx and rx to rx. D’oh! I caught Billy’s post right before firing it up and configuring it for the first time. I swapped the pins in the connector (vs de-soldering and re-soldering the wires up correctly) and it’s been working great, picked up 13 Sats indoors!

I’ve got another issue but I’ll create a new post.

flacke
    Participant

Spec sheet for NEO-M8 says 3.6V in Max. Where do you see 5V and that it has a step down? Are you running 5V in?

Attachments:
    swissfreek
    Participant

That’s for the GPS module itself, but I have yet to find a board that didn’t have a 5v regulator on it. I have that GPS and ran it off 5v without issue. If you’re concerned, you could also run it off the 3V3 pad on the flight controller, that should work fine as well.

flacke
    Participant

Good to know thanks for the reply. I’m just finishing up the build and about to get into the software part, that I have zero experience with so I’m dreading all that. Wish me luck!

flacke
    Participant

Anyone have issues with the Mag not calibrating correctly? Mine is off by 45 degrees. Home arrow and OSD compass are not accurate so I’m reluctant to hit that RTH switch.

billyd
    Participant

I had to set the firmware to upside down and 90 degrees clockwise (going by memory) before it would display the heading correctly. The silk screen on the module had the arrow in the wrong place.

Although if yours is 45 degrees out not sure why that is happening. Ideally you could do the calibration with a laptop, and a long usb cable, outdoors to minimize magnetic interference.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Tricopter LR’ is closed to new topics and replies.