Home Forums Everything about the Tricopter V4 "You have been chosen…." Distribution board and injection molded tilt top

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    lauka
    Participant

Nice!
    I might just order it even though I just redid my power distribution:) How do you run 12V FPV gear with this? I have currently hidden UBEC above the battery. I could probably ditch that one if I`d get this and solder a 12V regulator instead?

In case of 5V I would need to order new mini ESCs without BEC at least for the front arms (more €€) 🙂

Tiernan85
    Participant

Awesome news and thanks again to David for your continuous efforts on improving our experiences with your tricopter! The same thank you goes out to all of the other people that helped bring these awesome ideas to reality! Keep it up folks 🙂

Terje

David posted plans for a 12v BEC back in 2012.
    12v BEC

I have ordered some parts off eBay for a build, I don’t know if they are correct though…

LM2940-12
    Aluminum Heat Sink
    Rubycon 35V 220uF
    Radial Inductor 1mH
    SMD Tantalum capacitor 470nF (3216)
    Use at own risk 🙂

lauka
    Participant

Terje: Yes I think that would work but I doubt that those would fit inside the frame. Under the bottom frame would be a good place, maybe a double layer frame in future with 12V line running in the bottom layer :).

Is it possible to drill holes to the bottom frame to get the battery + and – for a UBEC under, maybe next to the extra pads? Is there a layout of the bottom frame available?

Terje

I’m pretty confident they could be fitted into a modified nose spacer or transmitter post (like David did back in 2012) 🙂

tomtebloss
    Participant

Jaakko: It shouldn’t be a problem to drill a hole straight trough in the middle, when I look at the product photos here

Plus/(+) seems to be on the inside/top on the plate and the bottom/underneath of the plate is the ground/(-). Just make sure to clean the hole so the to copper plates don’t connect to each other when your done.

_SYC_
    Participant

Got my PDB ordered can’t wait to get it installed 🙂 just need the Naze boards now.

sway
    Participant

Hi just a quick one. with the PDB with the built in bec. do i need to do and power isolation on the esc connection? if someone is artful enough, a nice diagram wouldn’t hurt. am using kk mini

thank you

Terje

There are some nice pictures on the products page?

sway
    Participant

yeah so by looking at those i just keep everything the way it is and use the additional 5v out to my receiver. i say nothing will fry? coz theres power already with the “stock setup” from the esc? ill look again in case i have missed something

sway
    Participant

this is my only experience with bec’s. do i need to do anykind of disconnection.

Terje

You just use the 5v output terminals for your receiver and flight controller. If you are still running a KK2 board, you’ll need an additional 5v power source though.

Terje

The build-in linear BEC (5v/1A) of the distribution board will easily power your receiver, flight controller and servo.

You could in theory combine more LINEAR BECs to increase amperage, but not recommended. You can NOT combine switching BECs (SBEC) to increase amperage. Only the KK2 boards need 2 power sources, as the M1 and M2-M8 pins run separate circuits (to clean up signals). All modern flight controllers (CC3D, Flip32, Naze32, Sparky, Davids upcoming flight controller frame, etc) run on one power source.

Linear BECs are found in most ESC’s (not OPTO ones, and some high power ESCs feature SBECs).

Linear BECs are very clean, but not as efficient as switching BECs.

As you can see in my video, I opted for two linear BECs, one for the system, and one for the FPV camera.

sway
    Participant

Sorry to sound dumb. but i have found that the m1 sig/+/- is the main power supply at the moment for the board like you have said, on the kkmini. and the RX is pulling power from the throttle sig/+/- input on the kk board.

so what i can gather is.

i will need to just have the signal wire working on the M1 signal pin, then use the 5v output on the PDB to fill the +/- pins purely for power supply.

i cannot find the second power supply going into the kk. only the one on M1.

Terje

If you have ESCs with built-in BEC’s, they are supplying the power through the GND and 5v wires.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 185 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything about the Tricopter V4’ is closed to new topics and replies.