WARNING! Do not attempt to build fire breathing birds at home.
I know this isn’t technically a duck, but don’t be racist ok.
I couldn’t find a duck decoy around where I live so a goose had to do. Also the goose has much more room to fit fun stuff like a flamethrower and a stungun.
In case you missed the video, here it is:
The goose decoy came with a few different swappable heads. These were the two most suited for the purpose I had in mind.
To get the soon to be Duck from Hell through the water, a propulsion and steering solution was needed. The most obvious and simple way of doing this was to buy a cheap RC boat.
This 460mm boat was only 30 bucks on Hobbyking. Size wise it’s pretty well suited. Could have been a bit bigger. But it will do.
I want to be able to reuse this boat later so I didn’t want to break apart the water proof receiver and ESC box. Plus I need 8 channels in total to control all functions I want the Duck from Hell to be able to have. So I decided solder on some separate power cables to the motor and run a separate external brushed ESC.
I had a ton of these 20A brushed ESC laying around. They are awesome to use for DIY RC projects that need simple DC voltage regulation, like controlling LED’s and stuff.
Look at that beauty.
I’ve had these needle bearings in my bearings box for ages. I accidentally added them to my cart while ordering some other bearings. I figured I would be able to use them at some point in the future and with pure luck they fit perfectly in the neck hole of the body!
Removed some material on the neck stump to make the head fit properly. We’ll get back to this part later.
Now looking like Phteven, the lower part of the beak needed a pivot point. The simplest way I could think of to make this pivot and still be able to remove the bottom part was to use a tube and some steel wire.
It was then connected to the control horn via a steel wire. It was easy to trim the range as the steel wire could be bent while in place to make it shorter or longer.
Then it was time to take a trip out to the laser house.
I needed a simple dispenser for the butane flask used for the flamethrower. This was the design.
Had some 4mm plexi laying around, so I used that.
Piew piew! Missing the sharks though.
3D model compared to the real design. (123D design used)
Soldered together the pieces that will fit in the roof of the beak.
Painted it black using a magic marker so that it would blend in a bit better.
Next I made a super simple ignition system for the butane. A long wire with a servo connector at the end was used.
The resistor can’t be too low of a value and not too high either. You need to calculate the resistance you need for your specific voltage.
Test run! Worked great. The resistor ignition is very reliable, but it’s one time use only. You must replace the resistor after each use.
Next it was time to do something about those eyes.
To get the eyes looking somewhat good and also hold the LED’s in place I used hotglue. I added a bead to the LED and pushed in. Then I pushed on the glue with my thumb to get a slightly frosted finish.
Looks pretty menacing right?
Originally I was planning on using a small stungun to ignite the butane, but it turned out it wasn’t a reliable ignition source. The gas needed to be the exact right mixture and if there were any wind it just wouldn’t work. This is a simple voltage regulator for the stungun.
Yet another (but smaller) brushed ESC was used to turn the stungun on and off.
The stungun prongs before being glued in place.
Held in place with yet more hotglue.
To get the wire out of the boat I cut a hole way up front of the cover.
Fished the wires through and added some tape to make it water resistant.
Cleaned up the wire mess as best as I could. The Duck from Hell uses 8 channels total:
1. Steering servo
3. Head turn
4. Open beak
5. Turn on eyes
6. Stun gun
7. Gas flow
8. Ignite gas
The top speed of the Duck from hell isn’t that good. Around 3km/h or so. First I had the boat not angled down enough so there was a lot of spray produced. (You can see this in the video) But I managed to take care of that later. Still it’s a lot of stuff to push trough the water.
Now for the fun stuff, Fire! The ignition works beautifully even in windy conditions.
Running the flamethrower for longer periods of time heats up the plastic a bit. During my test I could have it on quite a while. Out on the lake where there were winds the flames were pushed in directions I didn’t take into account.
After a while the bottom of the beak caught fire.
Thank you Johanna for helping out with the filming. It was miserable and cold during the shoot but the end results were worth it.